Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mizcoffeehater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2013
Hello! I've just recently converted from being a Windows user to a Mac user! One of my concerns when I was researching laptops was a spill resistant keyboard. I originally went with Lenovo but their trackpad was just awful. Sooooo I decided I would go with a Mac.

I drink alot of coffee so I'm terrified of one day spilling some on my new rMBP...and I know that AppleCare doesn't cover spills. I'm looking at several different keyboard protectors but I don't know which one to get. I have an early 2013 15" rMBP...should I assume that any of the keyboard protectors for any 15" rMBP should fit properly? Does anyone have any recommendations for which brand or type I should get?

ANy help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks for reading!! :)

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2013
How about a sippy cup?

starbucks-sippy-cup.png

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Welcome to the world of Mac. I also converted a few years ago. Didn't take me long to come under the spell and acquire all kinds of other products made by Apple. To your point though, a sill-resistant keyboard would be nice. I simply keep my beverages a safe distance away from my MBP.

Scott7975

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
Why not just use a travel mug. The new ones have caps on them so they don't spill. About 10 bucks at Walmart. Piece of mind. As for keyboard covers. I hate them so I couldn't suggest any.

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2013
Why not just use a travel mug. The new ones have caps on them so they don't spill. About 10 bucks at Walmart. Piece of mind. As for keyboard covers. I hate them so I couldn't suggest any.

Yea, I won't use a keyboard cover. A case already hides the beautiful device - why spoil it with a laptop condom.

Reminds me of an auto repair shop.

Scott7975

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
Yea, I won't use a keyboard cover. A case already hides the beautiful device - why spoil it with a laptop condom.

Reminds me of an auto repair shop.

LOL I worked in an auto repair shop for over 20 years. That's exactly why I came to hate keyboard covers.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Hello! I've just recently converted from being a Windows user to a Mac user! One of my concerns when I was researching laptops was a spill resistant keyboard. I originally went with Lenovo but their trackpad was just awful. Sooooo I decided I would go with a Mac.

I drink alot of coffee so I'm terrified of one day spilling some on my new rMBP...and I know that AppleCare doesn't cover spills. I'm looking at several different keyboard protectors but I don't know which one to get. I have an early 2013 15" rMBP...should I assume that any of the keyboard protectors for any 15" rMBP should fit properly? Does anyone have any recommendations for which brand or type I should get?

ANy help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks for reading!! :)

While I don't have a rMBP, I have a regular macbook and I love to drink things near my MB... A couple years ago I bought a cheap MB keyboard protector from Amazon for about $5. Its still holding up and works pretty good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.