Keyboard Protector - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djinn, Jul 6, 2009.

1. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I am one of those people that say, just use the product. But after really looking at this MBP and wanting to keep it in tip-top condition, I thought about buying "Moshi ClearGuard Keyboard Protector?" I wanted to get some input?

My ultimate goal would be to avoid the shiny key syndrome that some people here also experience.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I have the iSkin Pro Touch and absolutely love it, works like a charm.

3. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

I have one and think it's great. You can't really tell it's there and the keys have a great rubbery(but not tacky/sticky) feel to them. They're alot quieter and more importantly, your keyboard is no longer prone to dust/crumbs/spills. It's also easily removable/washable if needed.

**MAKE SURE*** you get the Moshi Clearguard though. My friend has another brand of keyboard protector and it's almost 4 times as thick. The Moshi is the equivalent of a condom for your keyboard.

Any other type of protector is absolutely unnecessary, except the Palmguard palm rest protector(for those that wear metal watches, those can scuff up your machine quick).

4. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

iSkin Pro Touch vs Moshi Clearguard? How about the trackpad?

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

just use it bare naked man. U wont notice the shiny syndrome unless you looking at it at an angle at a light.

6. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

:) Fight it... Fight it... FIGHT IT!!!!!!

7. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

It's got the pluses and minuses of using a condom.

8. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

I have the moshi and love it. Had the silicone one from the AAPL store and hated it. Too thick and mushy. The moshi is not bad at all.

With two shedding dogs, it's a must for me. I'd prefer not having one, but it's necessary in my situation.

9. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

I have one too. love it... works like a charm. Except it's opaque. ow the hell do i see the backtit keyboard?

10. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

The Moshi is great, the thicker ones not so much. With the thick ones, when you close the laptop they touch the screen and thus any finger oils transfer to the display. So unless you like cleaning your screen frequently, get the moshi.

11. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

I definitely recommend the Moshi ClearGuard as it's awesome and really thin, the backlight looks great, it feels great and smooth to type on (not rubbery at all like iSkin)... and it's way thinner than the iSkin/zCover ones!
    But the only thing is that there is a tiny overlap on the function keys which doesn't bother me at all because the other keys fit perfectly (they done this so it would fit with old and new keyboards).
    I ordered mine from here on a Thursday and it arrived the following Monday to London!

Attached Files:

12. analytical44 macrumors regular

This might be the best reply I have ever read. Well played sir (madame), well played.

13. Pegasus665 macrumors member

Pegasus665

Will the keyboard protector be clear from the screen as not to cause damage or markings?

14. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

I believe you remove the skin after use. I do that with my other MBP with the iskin.

Do they sell the Moshi in Apple Stores?

15. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Definately recommend the Moshi Clearguard. I've used the zCover and kbcovers.com and both were quite thick and impeded my typing a noticeable amount. The Clearguard is noticeably thinner and I can't really tell its there sometimes. Only thing though is that the zCover and kbcovers.com products were siliconey and stuck to the keyboard better. The Moshi doesn't have quite the stickiness and a reasonable gust of wind could blow it off. Just a minor annoyance IMHO.

Not sure if they sell it at an Apple store but I bought it from www.newegg.com for $23 free shipping (and no tax in NY). Just search for "Moshi Clearguard".

16. mrj205 macrumors regular

Clearguard all the way. I use the Moshi Palmguard as well. It protects the palmrest area, and works quite well. It also has an insert to put on the trackpad, which I love. The insert for the trackpad isn't noticeable if applied correctly. You can, however, notice the palmguard since it isn't a perfect color match.

Hasn't done any harm to my MBP.

I don't remove mine, and I haven't noticed any oil transfer to the display or any markings. I think that have it in the Apple Stores, but you can find it online much cheaper.

17. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Don't do it. The keyboard dissipates heat. Covering will only make your computer run hotter.

18. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Um? I have the cover on my Macbook Air rev A (which is a KNOWN heat monster) and I have noticed no heat changes at all. I was actually looking for that because I heard similar comments like your own. Sitting on my desk right now browsing the web I am at 110 F. Doing Skype it spikes a bit but the keyboard cover itself never gets hot.

19. fireman13 macrumors 6502

I've had my moshi for a few weeks now. I honestly love it. I haven't compared it to any others but I have seen them on youtube and they do seem a lot thicker. I would be lying to you if I said that you don't notice it at all, because you do. However, it is so thin, it doesn't get in the way of tying or anything. I will tell you though, you need to wipe down the skin when your done using your computer because all that grease that would have been on your keys will be transferred to your screen. It is an awesome product and would highly recommend it.

20. fireman13 macrumors 6502

This is completely false. Don't worry about this at all. I leave my computer in clamshell mode all the time the skin on while i am using my monitor. I have never even seen the temp increase a single degree yet and I have watched closely.

21. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

djinn

Can I get it in the store or do I have to order it?

22. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You don't, but it's never been a large problem for me? The new colors are not my favorite though.

23. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

For what its worth, I just got the Moshi palm guard to go along with my Moshi keyboard cover. Now my keyboard, palm area, trackpad, and trackpad button (trackpad cover/button are included with the palm guard) are all protected and will remain new looking for years to come.

Owning these protection items makes me feel like I can be LESS careful with my Mac because I know the covers can easily be replaced. So it makes me focus on the task at hand better.

24. mrj205 macrumors regular

I haven't seen the Moshi products in my Apple Store, but you can order it online cheap. Online you can find it ~20% cheaper than what Apple charges. You can get both the Clearguard and Palmguard from Newegg on the cheap.