Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heartsclubband

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
I'm a first time Mac owner so you will probably be hearing a lot from me. I tried setting up my computer and it asked me to set up the keyboard. it told me to press the button to the right of the left shift key so the computer will be able to identify my keyboard. We followed the instructions and waited and waited and waited some more. It had said that when my keyboard was identified then it would flip to the next panel. It never flipped. This is not a Mac keyboard, it is a microsoft, however my mouse is a microsoft and there has been no problems. Any suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated. I want to avoid a " go buy another keyboard" ordeal if at all possible

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
Odd. Never seen that before, though to be fair none of my Macs are connected to a Windows keyboard.

Are you sure it's asking for the "button to the right of the left shift key"? Based on both the Mac and Windows keyboards here in front of me, it's asking for the 'Z' button, since that's the button to the right of the left shift key on both of my keyboards.

My guess is that it's trying to map an equivalent to the Apple/command button from an Apple keyboard. In that case, try using the Windows button.

If that doesn't work, please post again with your setup (model, processor, and version of OS X), and you're general location to let us know if you're using an international configuration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.