Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattais

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
Bristol, UK
Hey guys

I've just recently changed the insides of my white macbook to black. The keyboard keep freezing, and i've read that this was an issue for leopard users until Apple released a keyboard firmware update.

Ok, so you all get the picture - the update was installed when my previous keyboard was on the Macbook. After installing the new black keyboard I downloaded the patch for the firmware, but it wouldnt install as the installer detected it had already been installed on my machine.

After running software update I saw that the keyboard firmware update appeared for download again, so I downloaded and installed. It still froze every so often, and I have since reinstalled leopard.

Basically the keyboard and trackpad still lock up periodically, and there is no option to update the firmware any more. I have tried resetting the PRAM to avail.

Any ideas? The computer looks so sweet I really don't want to have to swap it back, i'm even considering downgrading to Tiger if it will mean I can keep it.

Any suggestions would be most welcomed

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Hi - is the black keyboard/topcase new - I assume you have a core 2 duo MacBook and both topcases (the old and the new) have silver connection wires ?

Sounds as if the new, black, one is faulty - does it lock up as soon as you touch the clicker ?

mattais

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
Bristol, UK
Yes, I have a core 2 duo and both keyboards have the silver connector.

The keyboard works fine for a while, as a matter of fact im typing this on it now. What happens is all of a sudden when i havent been using it the keyboard and trackpad stop responding. This problem doesnt rectify itself until the computer is restarted. The power button always works though, making me think that it is an operating system error not a hardware fault. I have had two kernel panics since the installation however.

Im thinking about putting Tiger on, and if the problem persists with that then it must be a hardware fault??

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Odd - the only suggestion is to take the new, black topcase off and reconnect the old one. You don't have to connect any of the screws - just connect up the topcase and lay it on top of the bottom case in roughly the right place - it will work fine without the screws.

I am guessing that you did not try out the new black keyboard before you modded it ?

If you replace the old topcase then you should not have any kernel panics - if you do then it is not the topcase that is causing them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.