Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OliveroNYC

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2020
NYC
My retina keyboard is failing again. It was replaced in February and again in June this year. Each time I was happy with what came back but am surprised with how short each keyboard lasted.

Last night I was on the phone with Apple support for over an hour. Their repair system kept saying 'no' for some reason. Eventually, they agreed to replace the keyboard but have said service runs out after 4 years from the first date of release. So if you have the latest 2017 model you will be stuck with the repair cost after June 2021, six months from now.

It was mentioned on the call that Apple stores have more leeway when it comes to making decisions on repairs.

I have an M1 Air, but I much prefer the Retina and that keyboard (when it works). I am stuck between wanting to use what is effectively a discontinued computer, and something new I don't especially enjoy using. It looks like Apple has abandoned the ultra-portable market.
So, do I chose reliability over what I like using?

Rory76

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2017
My retina keyboard is failing again. It was replaced in February and again in June this year. Each time I was happy with what came back but am surprised with how short each keyboard lasted.

Last night I was on the phone with Apple support for over an hour. Their repair system kept saying 'no' for some reason. Eventually, they agreed to replace the keyboard but have said service runs out after 4 years from the first date of release. So if you have the latest 2017 model you will be stuck with the repair cost after June 2021, six months from now.

It was mentioned on the call that Apple stores have more leeway when it comes to making decisions on repairs.

I have an M1 Air, but I much prefer the Retina and that keyboard (when it works). I am stuck between wanting to use what is effectively a discontinued computer, and something new I don't especially enjoy using. It looks like Apple has abandoned the ultra-portable market.
So, do I chose reliability over what I like using?
I have a 2017 12” MacBook purchased new in October 2019. Per Apple, the keyboard service program that covers 4 years from the first retail sale of the unit started when I purchased the computer from the retailer, not the date of the release of the model. So, folks like myself who purchased the 2017 model brand new, a few years after the 2017 release of it, still have a number of years left under the keyboard replacement program.

OliveroNYC

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2020
NYC
I have a 2017 12” MacBook purchased new in October 2019. Per Apple, the keyboard service program that covers 4 years from the first retail sale of the unit started when I purchased the computer from the retailer, not the date of the release of the model. So, folks like myself who purchased the 2017 model brand new, a few years after the 2017 release of it, still have a number of years left under the keyboard replacement program.
Just so you know that wasn't what I was told on the call yesterday...

Rory76

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2017
Just so you know that wasn't what I was told on the call yesterday...
I have screen captures of the Apple chat from last year confirming it’s covered under the Apple keyboard service program until Oct of 2023. In the chat the representative confirmed that “first retail sale of the unit” refers to the initial purchase date of the individual laptop and not the model date. Plus, I have AppleCare+ that’s active on it through Oct 2022, so either way I’m not too concerned.

Rory76

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2017
The wording may be ambiguous - it says at https://support.apple.com/en-ca/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks.

"The program covers eligible MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro models for 4 years after the first retail sale of the unit."

Does 'unit' mean the model or the computer in question?
When I asked this specific question, I was advised the “first retail sale of the unit” refers to the initial purchase date of the individual laptop and not the model date.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

OliveroNYC

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2020
NYC
Just realized I never gave an update to this. I got the keyboard replaced. The whole process was quite quick in the end.
I ended up test driving an M1 MacBook Air. Loved everything except the keyboard, weight, and size.

The size of the 12 inch is just right for me! I still love it but...

...the letter P is failing. Really hard to press. Grrr.

Photios

macrumors regular
May 17, 2009
Just realized I never gave an update to this. I got the keyboard replaced. The whole process was quite quick in the end.
I ended up test driving an M1 MacBook Air. Loved everything except the keyboard, weight, and size.

The size of the 12 inch is just right for me! I still love it but...

...the letter P is failing. Really hard to press. Grrr.
I know this is not an ideal solution, but... I have a keyboard cover on my 12", and have never had a keyboard failure. In fact, I have a 2018 15" and never have had a failure with it's keyboard and it too has a keyboard cover. I prefer the Ghostcover by Uppercase.

Reactions: xborn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.