Keyboard scratching screen on 2011 MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by zzzzzzzzz, Sep 17, 2011.

1. zzzzzzzzz macrumors member

Hi guys - on my old 2008 MBA, the keyboard (or keyboard ledge) would scratch the screen. I had the scratched up screen replaced at the end of my 1-year applecare tenure, and then just kept a soft cloth covering the keyboard when the laptop was closed. That did the trick, though was a bit annoying, and I lost a few of the cloths.

Question is - does anybody know if this is still an issue on the new designs?

The design has been revised since the 2008 MBA (which had the flip-down port door and too weak hinges), so I'm hoping they took care of this so that I don't have to do the cloth thing again. But I will if anyone has heard of the scratching happening with recent models.

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Hi!

I have the 2011 Model and the screen is indented a bit with a rubber edge around so the keyboard does not touch the screen, so I think that issue is gone.
    It looks like there is about 1 mm between keyboard and screen while closed

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

The issue with the 2010, 2011 models seems to be gone.
    As said on the top, there is a rubber dot that stops the screen from touching the keyboard.

4. robby818 macrumors 6502a

It depends on how you handle your MBA. If it is in a tight case or between books in a backpack, the keys can come into contact the screen. But if you don't put that type of pressure on the lid, then probably not. I use a protector just to be safe.

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Lol, I've only just noticed the rubber edge after reading your reply !

6. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

keys won't touch the screen but if you use a silicone keyboard cover, it will.

7. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I have the 2011 MBA 13". The bit of sharp aluminum around the trackpad, and under the space bar, did scratch my screen. Quite a bit actually...

I carry my MBA in a thick neoprene sleeve, inside a padded laptop compartment of my bag (with nothing else in the sleeve or the bag compartment. Granted there were also like 3 thick heavy law school books in my bag at the time it was scratched... so that might have had something to do with it.

In any case, apple replaced it for me and now I use a photodon screen protector.

8. daonesteven macrumors 6502

jesus how likely is this situation to happen normally? Anyone else experience this?

I'm extra paranoid since I'm also a 1L with casebooks in my backpack but I try not to put more than 1 in my backpack at all times.

9. bill-p macrumors 65816

It is a possibility since the thin body of the Macbook Air makes it much easier to flex. I know mine flexes pretty easily, and if I try to, I can most likely bend the upper casing with sheer force.

But at the same time, if the screen, which is recessed and a good distance behind the aluminum frame that surrounds it, which is then separated from the lower casing in closed position with a bumper that runs along the sides, can get scratched, then the upper, or lower casing, might well be dented...

Well, in short, just make sure you don't compress the two sides of the air together too hard.

10. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

Every MBA has had this so far. It's just more obvious now because the rubber edge on the first models was white/gray while on the 2010/2011 it's black.

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Even though it happened to me, I don't think it's particularly likely. I think the fact that I had 3 books (dam those 1L books are ****** thick!), the fact that I use a messenger bag, and that the planets were aligned against me that evening is why it happened.

I have loaded my bag up with 3 books a few times since then, and no marks at all on the screen protector.

All in all, this is the sacrifice we had to make in order to have a <3LB and <0.7in laptop.

12. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

How bad was it? Did it really affect the screen when viewing it? Or was it only noticeable when looking from the side with the screen off?

I'm thinking of getting the 13" myself but I don't really want to mess with screen protectors, I always tend to lose them and then I'd be worrying about it getting scratched. But if it's not too noticeable I'll just take it for normal wear & tear.

Did you make any photos before it was replaced?

13. GWIM2 macrumors member

Definitely can be scratched ...

I had scratched the screen in this 2011 13" Air within a week of getting it - I think by packing it too tight in a case. I don't think it would happen in 'normal' use but it is so slim it will inevitably get crushed in packing, and hence marked.

Mark was caused by the edge between trackpad and keyboard, and is annoying rather than critical. I'm making sure I don't do that again.

slightly scratched but living with it. :eek:

14. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

No photos unfortunately. The scratches were clearly visible with the screen off, or dark like when watching a dark movie. Not noticeable otherwise.

I got the photodon screen protector which sticks onto the screen, not the kind that just covers the keyboard. Not sure how I could possibly lose it...

15. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

Thanks, if it would be noticeable during use it would really annoy me too. But even when it's off, just knowing it's there will bother me to be honest. My iPhone got a bubble in the screen glue once (in the visible part) and it took me 6 months to really get over that :)

By screen protector I meant one of those cloths to put between the screen and KB every time, such as this one. Hadn't thought of getting a stick-on one. That might also be an option.