Keyboard service dillemma

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eshyn, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Eshyn macrumors member

Hi all,

Recently my new uMBP suffered a liquid spill. Luckily, all the major components were fine and I only needed to have the optical drive replaced. I did have some sticky keys but I was able to pop those off and fix them myself.

Now, I noticed when I first received the computer (about a month ago) that the far left and right sides of the space bar are dead. It's very annoying because my left thumb usually defaults to the very far left end of the space bar when attempting to enter a space in my text. I am constantly having to go back through my text and add spaces where the key didn't accept the input.

I've read of another person who was affected by the same issue and Apple replaced his entire computer. Now what I'm wondering is that if Apple decides to go ahead and replace the keyboard (and thus, the top case) would they open it up only to notice that the spill indicators in the keyboard had changed color, and then deny me the replacement and charge me for the service? I initially thought I could live with the space bar issue but it's really grating on me.

So my options are:

A. Pay upwards of $600 to have the top case and keyboard replaced.

B. Approach Apple, do not mention the spill (I'm sure some of you will frown upon this, the only reason I would try to be sneaky about it is because the space bar issue was there from day 1) and see what options they present.

C. Take it to an authorized repair center, mention the spill and see if they will overlook it and fix it under warranty since the problem was there from day 1.

What do you all think?

Thanks very much. :)

2. Eshyn thread starter macrumors member

3. copykris macrumors 6502a

copykris

4. Eshyn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your input. :)

5. Eshyn thread starter macrumors member

6. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Stop bumping the thread, just think what would happen if everyone did. :)