Keyboard Shortcut Clash?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by turkishdisco, Jul 12, 2014.

1. turkishdisco macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Just got my first MacBook (13" Pro Retina), having difficulty with using keyboard shortcuts. On System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts I find this:

[​IMG]

(I can't see this image when I preview my post so here's the URL: http://imgur.com/92xdoUK )

But when I hit F12, my volume goes up! It seems like the F12 key has two functions assigned to it, and the volume function takes precedence. I have no idea what's going on here or how to rectify it. Can anyone help out?
    Thanks!

2. GhettoMrBob macrumors regular

Go back to the "Keyboard" tab up at the top. Under that section it should say "Use F1, F2 as standard function keys". If that's checked the media keys (brightness, volume, etc.) will no longer function and only the F keys will work.

If you'd rather keep the media keys, try pressing the Fn key while pressing F12 (your example).

3. turkishdisco thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

Incidentally, if you ever do want to assign two functions to a single key, and have them both occur, BetterTouchTool can do that.

Actually, BetterTouchTool can do a ton of things, including custom trackpad gestures, and window snapping, and keyboard shortcuts for actions that are not menu items.

If you ever find yourself looking for more control and customization of your Mac, I highly recommend BTT.