Keyboard shortcut for display sleep on MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by andy06, Feb 15, 2012.

1. andy06 macrumors member

The Air has no Eject key, so the Ctrl-Shift-Eject doesn't work. What's the replacement key?

Thanks

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Tap the power button.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. andy06 thread starter macrumors member

Lock Screen

What's Apple's official/prescribed method to lock the screen? It would seem those steps all involve 'workarounds' or third party solutions.

Thanks

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If your goal is primarily security, use a screensaver. Simple.

6. andy06 thread starter macrumors member

The problem with mixing Screen lock functionality with Display sleep is compromise on power savings on notebooks.

For example, on other OSes, I have it so that after 1 min on inactivity, it turns the screen off but immediately turns it back on as soon as I touch the trackpad.

This doesn't seem to be possible on the Mac because it would prompt for password every time I look away for a minute or 2 to speak to someone or refer to something.

Now if I disable the password prompting, then there is no way to lock the screen now. So I was just curious if Apple has a 'recommended' workflow for how they think you should be locking your screen.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you disable the password prompting, you can still click the padlock on your Menu Bar and select "Lock Screen".

8. andy06 thread starter macrumors member

But since the Display Sleep and Computer sleep password prompting is tied together (in addition to the lock/sleep coupling), doing so will mean that when I close the lid of my notebook, anyone can open and get right in.

It will disable the resume from sleep prompt as well.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's simple. If you want security, don't disable the password prompting, so whether you sleep the Mac or display, or use Hot Corners or lock the screen from the Menu Bar, a password is required. If you don't want security, disable it.

10. gentlefury macrumors 68030

If you don't want the computer to go into sleep mode you can set a shortcut using automator...thats what I did. I have ctrl+cmd+z as my screen saver activation button.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Caffeine will temporarily override your energy saver settings and keep your Mac awake with a click on the Menu Bar icon. Another click turns it off.

To keep your MBP awake with the lid closed, use InsomniaX or InsomniaT (rebuild for SL) (fix for 2011 MPBs)

12. thuglove macrumors member

Download BetterTouchTool and configure it to whatever you want. I have mine as three finger click.