keyboard shortcut for second level menu

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tootall, Apr 17, 2011.

1. tootall macrumors regular

Hi,

This switcher would like to assign a keyboard shortcut to a second level menu command; I know how to assign a shortcut but only for first level menu commands... for example I would like to assign page break in Word.

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You do it the same way. The menu level where the command appears is irrelevant.

3. tootall thread starter macrumors regular

Wow thanks for the quick reply; that's what I would have thought but it does not work!?!

My other shortcuts that I have created work fine,but this page break does not work in Word. I use a french system and office. In french the "Saut" (=Break) menu leads to several choices, the first one "Saut de page"(= page break) does not have a shortcut while the second one "Saut de colonne" (=colomn break) has one, go figure!

I was careful to write the sublevel command but it does not work... do I need to restart the computer?

Quick edit: maybe I am confusing things, I guess one could consider it a third level menu: insert/break/page break

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I can't speak for the French version, but creating a Page Break shortcut in the English version is simple. No reboot necessary. You don't even need to restart Word. Just make sure the Menu Title is exactly (including capitalization) as it appears on the menu.
    ScreenCap 12.png

5. tootall thread starter macrumors regular

OK I'll keep fiddling with it then, now that I know it is possible.

Thanks a lot.

6. tootall thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I have finally figured out what is going wrong. Any shortcut using the special system keys (command, alt, ctrl, or shift) combined with "enter/return" will not work!

Too bad, coming from MS Word for windows, that was a more natural shortcut.. oh well...