keyboard shortcut for switching within an app?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Curren~Sea, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Curren~Sea macrumors regular

Curren~Sea

What is the keyboard shortcut for switching windows within an application? For instance if I have several Safari windows open, how do I keyboard switch, like in windows with alt-tab. I know about apple-tab, but that doesn't tab between windows within the same app. Thanks!

Ps. any other useful keyboard shortcuts would be appreciated. 10.4.1

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The command you're looking for is command + `. A fun keyboard command is control + option + command + 8, also command + m for minimizing a window, command + h for hiding an application. Command + w for closing a window, I think that's enough for now though :p.

3. Curren~Sea thread starter macrumors regular

Curren~Sea

after you command H and it's in the dock, how do you get it back out without mouseclicking? command tab does nothing.

Thanks!

And... how come the red x closes a window and other times it minimizes? And... once it's in the dock how come I often have to click it like crazy just to get it back? Is that enough for now? And... sometimes when it's in the dock I right click and it just says open, other times a close or other right click options are available?

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That's weird, if I do command + h, I can get it to reappear by using command + tab. And I've never had the issue of the red button minimizing the window, maybe you're accidentally double clicking? And for the dock question, maybe one time you're right clicking on an application and the other time you're right clicking on a window, as the window will only give you the "open" choice when right clicked.

5. bennyboi macrumors regular

bennyboi

SHIFTY McSHIFTATHAN

The Coolest is minimizing by holding shift + command + m. Try with exposé too. It's kind of a simulation of what apple animations would look like on a pc :p

6. Curren~Sea thread starter macrumors regular

Curren~Sea

Hm, no that does not work. Command + Tab doesn't do anything after the windows are all minimized. What I want is for it to reopen, or bring up a minimized window. I thought we could do anything in OS X with keyboard commands, ala unix, but I'm not seeing the functionality I want, or something.

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

as far as i know, i don't think there is a keyboard command that will bring up a minimized window, a reason why i never minimize windows. i do hide applications and use command+tab/` to cycle through my programs and windows.

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Oh, sorry I thought you were talking about when windows were hidden :eek:. You can press control + F3 to bring the Dock up and navigate to the window via the arrow keys and press enter to bring the window up.