Keyboard shortcut hints + tips + tricks

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bluush, May 10, 2007.

1. bluush macrumors 6502

Hey all. I used to pretty much never use my mouse on Windows because I found everything much faster/efficient using keyboard shortcuts. I'm new to Mac OS X and wanting to know if there's any hints or tips/sites you can give me regarding keyboard shortcuts. Is Mac OS (especially Safari) good with that? I've been using my trackpad way too much and fear I'll wear it out in no time at this rate.
    Thanks

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yikes... even I didn't know there was that much. :eek:

3. bluush thread starter macrumors 6502

4. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Reading that list from Apple I've just discover that I can Cmd click on the little grey button at the top right of finder windows to bring up different options.

5. mokeyjoe macrumors member

No keyboard shortcut for restoring a minimized window though. That one annoys me.

Also, does anyone know of way to remap exposé to somewhere other than the function keys. I like exposé but the F keys are a bit awkward IMO - I'd like to swap the exposé and spotlight commands for example - I don't use Spotlight very often so I wouldn't mind that sitting on the function keys.

6. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

System Preferences> Keyboard and Mouse, then select the Keyboard Shortcuts Tab.

7. mokeyjoe macrumors member

I thought I'd tried that. Hm, I'll have another look when I get home.

8. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

If you like keyboard navigation, check out QuickSilver. It is by far the best way to work with a Mac. There is so much you can do with that program, it's amazing.

9. mpw Guest

I've said it before and I'll say it again, in fact given the chance I'd scream it into Steve Jobs' face, MS Windows handles keyboard shortcuts better than OSX and I can't believe Apple couldn't fix this overnight.

10. bluush thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately I agree. What's with all these 3 key combos for Mac shortcuts? I really hope this is remedied with Leopard.

11. mpw Guest

Ahh 'hope', the refuge of the soon-to-be-dissapointed.

12. mokeyjoe macrumors member

I doubt they'll change the shortcuts with leopard - it'll just confuse those people who know them.

I do wish they'd add some more for window handling. In Windows you can move and resize windows from the keyboard. At the very least I think OS X should let you zoom with a keyboard shortcut, it would make the zoom function much more useful too.

Still, if you install Quicksilver then I think OS X probably wins out in terms of keyboard control - other than that Windows probably has the edge.

13. mokeyjoe macrumors member

Hm, doesn't work. It seems to, but when I log out and back in again it'll reset back to whatever it says in the Expose preference pane. So I can't move it off the function keys - or else I have to reset it every time I log in.