Keyboard Shortcut to access menu bar- In particular, "Users Login" in top right.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nip848, Oct 27, 2011.

1. nip848 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Firstly, please let me say I have checked the Apple Support page on Keyboard Shortcuts http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1343 and the MacRumors Forums/Guide but it doesn't seem to list what I need.

Let me explain the problem. I have multiple users on my iMac. The Apple Bluetooth Mouse gets turned off after use to save battery (the iMac gets heavy usage, 12 hours a day minimum). Now, it is great that Apple have included the login menu on the top right, to allow quick user switches. However, on many occasions when I am in a rush, I need to switch to my user account quickly, but am left waiting anything from 10-30 seconds for the Mouse to connect.

Is there a keyboard shortcut to allow quick user switching, or to allow me to highlight the top menu bar so that I can scroll across to Users, and select my account from the drop down?

Please note I know I can press Shift-Command-Q to log out, but this defeats the purpose of the quick switching as it takes longer, I know this isn't a major gripe, but when its happening to me everyday it can become frustrating!

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

First hit on a google search found this. I haven't tried any of the ideas in that article.

Another thing to try would be getting a different mouse. I have the apple magic pad and don't have this long wakeup lag you speak of. Battery life has been really good also.

3. nip848 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that, some of them seem a bit more technical than I was hoping for with scripts etc but will see if any can help. Hopefully they will work the same on Lion as they all reference Snow Leopard which if i remember correctly had a slightly different setup.

I have the Apple Magic Mouse, which in my eyes should be the quickest mouse i would've thought.

4. ScoobyMcDoo, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011

ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Sometimes on an initial powerup, my magic pad takes a little while to connect, but I find that if i click it instead of just swiping it it connects faster. I've never had a magic mouse, but if it has a mechanical click, perhaps that would give it a better kick in the seat to get connected.