Keyboard Shortcut to Close Apps

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lugesm, Apr 15, 2008.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Hope this is not a dumb question.

I have been looking for a single keyboard shortcut to simultaneously close all open applications. Can't find one. Does one exist?

Thanks,
    L

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

There is none. It is not a logical operation, therefore, it is not available. You can close all windows of an application with Command-Option-W.

TEG

3. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi,

although there is nothing built-in to quit all applications at the same time, here is something that might help you for now:

1) Bring up a list of all applications, by holding down command and press tab
    2) Continue to hold down command and press Q to quit an application (right from that app switcher).
    3) As you continue to hold down command, press Q multiple times to quit all apps until only Finder is left.

Hope this helps.
    /Rupert

PS: I'm sure you could do something like "Quit all apps" with Apple Script.

4. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Not sure this is "not a logical operation."

I find that after some time on the computer and having opened and closed several files, forgetting to close the application also, I have several applications open. The small white dots on the app icons note those open.

Then I have to go through and close them one-at-a-time. It sure would be nice just to hit a couple of keys and have all applications close.

This would also be a useful shortcut when loading new applications where one is instructed to "Close all open apps."

I'm not complaining or nitpicking (I hope); I love the Mac after 15+ years on Windows.

5. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi,

one difference between Mac OS and Windows is that closing all files / windows of an application on a Mac does NOT close the application entirely, so you don't need to wait for the application to start up if you need to open files later in that application.

For more information, please read this post over at Mac Kindergarten.

/Rupert