Keyboard Shortcut to Locations

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ktalebian, Mar 10, 2009.

1. ktalebian macrumors regular

Hi there,

How can I create a shortcut to a folder?
    And also, how do I create a shortcut to open an application?
    The Keyboard Shortcuts in the Preferences is for creating Menu Bar shortcuts!!!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Can you elaborate on what you mean by shortcut? To me it sounds like you could just easily drag any application or folder to your dock and you'll have a shortcut to it.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

We don't make "shortcuts".

Heck, we don't really even use Aliases anymore; just drag what you want to the dock or the sidebar in any Finder window.

4. ktalebian thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, if I was unclear.
    I mean Keyboard shortcuts. You know how pressing for instance Shift+Command+A takes you to the Application Folder.
    Now I was wondering if I could add some of my own personal keyboard shortcuts to some other folders.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

There's nothing built-in that can do that. The closest is the keyboard shortcuts area of System Preferences, but that's for menu items only. My best idea is to add the folders in question to the left pane of the Finder window so they're in easy reach, or even the dock. Also, from Finder if you do a shift+cmd+g will bring up a prompt and you can type the folder you want to go to. Depending on how deep the path is that may be time consuming.

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I think Quicksilver is for you. You can either search by the name, or you can set up triggers to open items. I set up F5 at work to launch our POS system, and F6 to launch the warranty check page.

jW

7. gloves macrumors newbie

If you want something that is built into the OS, wouldn't Spotlight do the trick? Just hit CMD+Spacebar and then start typing the name of the folder?

8. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

9. sboerup macrumors 6502

I would also love this feature. If you can use the built in ones to open the Applications, Utilities, etc folders, then why can't you create a hot-key(s) to open folders of your choosing?

I have 2 large working drives with all my client data, and I use them often. I LOVE keyboard shortcuts, and I would love to be able to just hit a key and it opens that folder. Using the Dock at the bottom isnt bad, but hitting some keys would be much nicer.

The feature is built in, obviously, so any Terminal pros we would love some help!