Keyboard shortcut.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zaxonus, Jul 19, 2012.

1. zaxonus macrumors newbie

I am using a Mac with a non-French keyboard and I would like to make it easier to type in French.

For example let us say I want to type this sequence of characters: àéçœê;
    currently I open the Characters Mac utility and it does the job, but I would like to be able to set some kind of hotkeys and avoid to have to open the Characters Mac utility each time.

For example I would hit fn-e and I would get a 'é' and then hit fn-a (or some other key combination I could choose) and I would get a 'à'.

Is there a simple way to obtain what I want?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There are a few combinations of pressing the Option key and shift-Option to get different characters. When I press Option-N I get the ˜ thing with a line under it, then I press N again and get ñ. There's lots of neat things. Like Option-shift-K is .

3. zaxonus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I also get the  with option-shift-K; but pressing option-n does not do anything for me.
    Pressing option-N brings the Kotoeri Word Register.

By the way, how do I find those "neat things" you mention?
    And is there a a way to set my own hotkeys?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

What version of Mac OS X are you using? To get more of these neat characters, just open Text Edit, press option and start pressing buttons while holding shift. For another set press shift and option. Here's some:

`⁄€‹›fifl‡°·‚—±»’”∏؈¨Áˇ‰´„ŒÅÍÎÏ˝ÓÔÒÚÆ¿˘¯Â˜ı◊Dz¸`¡™£¢∞§¶•ªº–≠œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπ“‘«åß∂ƒ©˙∆˚˚˚˚˚˚¬¬…æΩ≈ç√∫˜µ≤≥÷ı

5. zaxonus thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using: Mac OSX Version 10.6.8.

As you write if I press option or shift-option and hit other keys at the same time. I get a lot of non-usual characters. The problem is they are not the ones I need.

As I mentioned in my first post I can find those characters I need using the "Characters" utility on Mac, but it is cumbersome to open it each time.
    I am almost sure Apple must offer a convenient way to do what I want, I just do not know where to find it.