Keyboard Shortcuts and tips to save everyone a little time and effort using the Mac.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by alexreich, Jul 20, 2011.

1. alexreich, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

A few months ago after I bought my Magic Trackpad at my local Apple Store, I got an application called 'BetterTouchTool'. I originally got it because I wanted to take advantage of my Magic Trackpad by adding custom gestures for my daily tasks.

Here's a few I added at the time:
    -Three-Finger swipe up to navigate to the top of a page
    -Three-Finger swipe down to navigate to the bottom of a page
    -Three-Finger Click on a URL opened the URL in a tab inside an existing window
    -Four-Finger Click to Sleep/Wake Display

I can't recall them all at the moment, but I'll add them as they come into memory:(

Anyways, they all worked fantastically for me.

When I read in my Twitter feed this morning that the much-anticipated Mac OS Lion was released, I went ahead and deleted my BetterTouchTool Trackpad gestures (but not the app itself) to ensure I wouldn't have any interference with Lion's new gestures.

To my surprise, since installing Mac OS Lion, I've actually been using BetterTouchTool to create Keyboard Shortcuts instead of creating Trackpad gestures! (Yes, BetterTouchTool is Lion-friendly!)

After creating all the shortcuts I've deemed necessary, and taking advantage of my dual monitor setup, I can see that the majority of my computing is pure Keyboard Shortcuts, a little Terminal work, and Trackpad gestures. Now, I actually believe that computing with the mouse pointer by dragging a finger along the Trackpad is a huge waste of time! I have shortcuts for everything I need to get done! (Shortcuts, and mainly Terminal knowledge, so I don't have to lift a finger from the keyboard often) I should also mention that the dual monitors assists in multitasking a large sum by enabling me to have all the apps I need open at all times, where I can actually see them all.

My monitor setup from left-to-right is:
    Monitor 2 (19" Samsung) with Mail.app fully expanded, Monitor 1 (21.5" Samsung) with Twitter on the left, Activity Monitor showing RAM status in the Dock icon below, iStat Menus 3 showing the status and temperatures of all components on my machine in the Status Bar, and Safari in the middle of the display, leaving room to see the folders and drives lined up neatly across the right side of the monitor (you can right click your Desktop and Click 'Clean Up' to get all of the icons in an organized grid). and iTunes is in a whole other Space by itself (full-screen) taking none of my desktop landscape :)

I've attached a photo of all the keyboard shortcuts I've added in BetterTouchTool below. (Yes, the 4th shortcut runs a Terminal script, which I'd be glad to give anyone. It's rather short and simple Trash emptying script that deletes the files completely, not putting them in the .Trash folder)

Along with the keyboard shortcuts added to BetterTouchTool, here are some useful ones from Apple, no modifications necessary. And, yes, some of these may be obvious to the long time or even average user, but I want to help everyone improve their Mac experience. Feel free to share any you use that I haven't mentioned!

Tab Pressing the tab key when you have a Browser open such as Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc, will allow you type directly in the URL bar, or Google without having to drag your mouse and click the designated area. Just press Tab *as many times as necessary*, and type your URL/Google search criteria!
    Control+Option+Command+Eject Shuts down computer immediately.
    Command+C Copy.
    Command+V Paste.
    Command+X Cut.
    Command+Q Quit.
    Command+Z Undo. (Life-saver)
    Command+H Hides the active window.
    Command+Space Opens Spotlight Search on the top right of your Mac.
    Command+Left or Right arrow Navigate previous Safari (or any browser) pages from your current session by pressing Command+Left Arrow, return to your latest page by pressing Command+Right Arrow as many times as necessary. NOTE: If you click a link while looking through previous webpages, you will only be able to return to the last URL before you clicked the link.
    Escape (by itself) Exits full screen view in an Application.
    Option+Command+Escape Opens Force Quit Menu, allowing you to quit unresponsive Applications.
    Command+Tab Shows active Applications, you can use arrows to change the Application you are currently using.
    Shift+Command+U Opens the Applications/Utilities Folder (note, Finder must be the currently active Application for this shortcut to work).

I apologize if some of this doesn't make sense to someone! If you don't understand something, I will try to explain it better!

EDIT 1: I forgot to mention, if you were to do a Keyboard shortcut that launches an app when it's already open, inputting that Shortcut would make that app the active window. Giving you no reason to drag your mouse over and click into a window to interact with an already-open Application :)
    -Alex :apple:
    You guys rock! :)

Attached Files:

2. nepentanova macrumors member

Tab Pressing the tab key when you have a Browser open such as Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc, will allow you type directly in the URL bar, or Google without having to drag your mouse and click the designated area. Just press Tab *as many times as necessary*, and type your URL/Google search criteria!
    CMD-L is another method to get to the address bar

Command+Left or Right arrow Navigate previous Safari (or any browser) pages from your current session by pressing Command+Left Arrow, return to your latest page by pressing Command+Right Arrow as many times as necessary. NOTE: If you click a link while looking through previous webpages, you will only be able to return to the last URL before you clicked the link.
    CMD-[ and CMD-] also move back / forward, and have the added bonus of working hen in a text entry box.

Control+Option+Command+Eject Shuts down computer immediately.
    - never knew that one, let me try......

I have added quite a few (many app shortcuts, services, itunes controls, launchbar and sizeup) and it can get quite confusing until you've used the shortcut enough times to program your muscle memory. So one thing i wish osx did was to have some logic in it's keyboard shortcuts that i understood. ie all in-app shortcuts to use CMD, ALT or CMD-ALT, global shortcuts to be CMD_ALT_CTRL (these are just examples), and importantly to see all global shortcuts in one place...)

and i really wish i could access menu items the same ways i use to in windows, using alt then the relevant letters that are underscored in the menu items you need...

3. iamsen47 macrumors regular

Are there any short cuts to eject the disc tray even when there're no discs inside?

4. bjm2660 macrumors 6502

Threads like this are fun. There's always the chance I'll see one that I didn't know or had forgotten about.