Keyboard Shortcuts Bug?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by blevins321, Oct 20, 2011.

1. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Having an issue with the keyboard shortcuts option. I'm trying to put in a couple common acronyms. The phone came with "omw" changing to "on my way" and I want to add some like "wbu," "cys," and others. What's happening is that it's not allowing me to insert any phrases that have spaces in them, even though the included one with the iOS software has two. See the screenshorts for what I mean.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Attached Files:

2. phreebsd macrumors regular

the shortcut is omw which has no spaces.
    the phrase itself can have spaces.

you should reverse the lines on your example. wbu is the shortcut, not the phrase.

3. blevins321 thread starter macrumors 68030

Nvm guys. I was dumb and switched the phrase and shortcut :( works like a charm, of course.

4. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

if it makes you feel better, i think it is rather unintuitive to type the phrase first then the shortcut. for me (and for a few people i've mentioned it to) it seems more natural for the shortcut to be the first thing you type and then the phrase it changes to be the second thing you type. minor, but that's how i would have implemented it.

5. jchilton macrumors newbie

I'd make fun of you for this, only I did exactly the same thing at first.

6. scootaru macrumors 6502

I agree.

7. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

Ditto. Did them backwards myself the first time. The UI is backwards of intuition.

And you know some fancy-pants user-experience designer (implied: no technical experience whatsoever) dictated this because no engineer would ever have put these inputs in that order. It's a key=value pair; there's no such thing as a value=key pair.