Keyboard shortcuts during boot don't work with all keyboards?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kylera, Feb 21, 2012.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I'm using a Microsoft wireless keyboard (non-Bluetooth, part of a keyboard and mouse combo) with my 2011 27-inch iMac, and I can't seem to force my Mac to boot from CD with it. I then used the Bluetooth keyboard that came with my Mac and THAT worked. Will shortcuts only work with the included keyboard?

On a similar thread, I was able to force my Mac to eject a CD during boot by holding the primary mouse button on my Logitech non-Bluetooth wireless trackball.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your thread title says it all. Keyboard shortcuts during boot won't necessarily work with all keyboards. A Mac keyboard is the surest bet. Holding a left mouse button down is somewhat easier to replicate across devices than is keyboard mapping.

3. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

I don't understand why this is downvoted. Is it wrong?

I also tested with an old-school Apple Pro Keyboard...no dice.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Don't pay attention to the votes. They're not a reliable indicator of anything. Most people don't even use them.

5. jackrv macrumors 6502

I was under the assumption that wireless keyboard do not work for boot options, but if the wireless trackball worked, I stand corrected. I thought the wireless connection was a function of a loaded OS. (Maybe EFI can do this).

6. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

Wireless works since the Bluetooth keyboard works. Maybe it's because I'm using a dongle that does both the keyboard and mouse. I don't have a standalone non-Bluetooth wireless keyboard to test my theory with.