Keyboard shortcuts for menus?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sharky05, Oct 29, 2008.

1. sharky05 macrumors regular

On windows machines, you can usually bring up the file menu using alt-f or the tools menu with alt-t (and then using cursor keys choose the menu item you want). I've been using mac for a few months now, but still have no idea how you do this with keyboard shortcuts on a mac. Is this possible?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

control-F2 (or fn-control-F2 on your mbp) will highlight the apple in the upper left. you can then navigate the menus with letters and/or the arrow keys. you can also learn more short cuts in the keyboard & mouse system preference. for me, it isn't as easy to do compared to windows, so these "shortcuts" usually take longer to execute than typing in the specific keyboard shortcut i'm looking for or mousing my way to get the job done. still, i guess redundancy is a good thing. i hope this answers your question?

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thankyou, i forgot what the keys were and had been wishing that i knew them. this will save me time when im in bed with my wireless keyboard too lasy to use the numeric keypad to move the mouse hahahaha. thanks

4. sharky05 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks very much! I'm going to see if I can remap that...