keyboard shortcuts, not working

Discussion in 'iMac' started by martinchivers, May 24, 2013.

1. martinchivers macrumors regular

martinchivers

I have a 27 inch iMac. Its on version 10.6.8

I want to set up some keyboard shortcuts (in the same as my iPhone) I want them to work in word & outlook. I set them up (in preferences/Language & Text) they are there, but they don’t work in practice. Is this something that doesn’t work on 10.6.8 & only on the later version?

2. TheAppleSource macrumors regular

TheAppleSource

What are the shortcuts you've setup? As in, what are they supposed to do and what key bindings have you chosen?

3. martinchivers thread starter macrumors regular

martinchivers

thanks......

I set up about 5 or 6 of these. the are either auto complete or a shortened version (that I remember) & then it replaces with the word (or words). I have them on my iphone as well & set them the same. They work on the iphone5.

I did find a similar set-up in Word & added them there too (after it failed to work in apple preferences.

One example is my email address.....I type m@ and it fills in "martin@ etc, .co.uk Another example would be "tog" replacing with "photographer" one more is "tf....replacing with TFCD" They all work great in Word. However I wanted this to work in outlook as well, so assume I can do the same, in its preferences set-up.

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

You can set them globally (or at least semi-globally) in settings > Language and Text > Text. If you want more features, the application "text expander" has a good reputation and is available on the MAS.

/Jim

5. martinchivers thread starter macrumors regular

martinchivers

thanks......

ive set them up now, in word & also outlook & they are working fine. Thanks for the help guys. martin