keyboard shortcuts question

sinoslav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
I'm totally new to Mac (longtime Windows user) and I have a question about keyboard shortcuts in Mac OS X. Under Windows, I could access any menu item via the Alt key plus a series of letters corresponding to the menu selections. For example, I use Thunderbird for email, and the menu choice to see only unread messages is

View | Threads | Unread

I could access this option in Windows with the keyboard combination

Alt-V (for View), then E (for Thr*e*ads), then U (for Unread).

I can't figure out any corresponding way under OS X to get to this menu option via keystrokes. Is there a general mechanism for keystroke combinations to get menu options under OS X?

sinoslav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
GimmeSlack12 said:
Yes it is very easy. Get used to using the Command key (the Apple key next to the spacebar). You use this key and voila. Key commands on a Mac!
No, this is not the same. Using the Command key alone, I can only access menu commands that have an associated Command-key combination built in. The correct answer is from http://www.xvsxp.com/misc/keyboard.php, I will quote:

To navigate menus with the keyboard:

* Type Control-F2 to activate the front-most application's menu
* Navigate with the arrow keys to select a menu, or type the first letter(s) of the menu's name
* Hit the down arrow key to reveal the selected menu
* Use the arrow keys to select a menu item, or type the first letter(s) of the menu item's name
* Hit Return