Keyboard shortcuts stopped working???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fhall1, Jan 29, 2009.

1. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Everthing's been fine since I first setup my Mac Mini over a year ago....2 or 3 days ago I noticed when I tried to do a cut/paste from a mail message to a field (using Cmd-C Cmd-V) in a web page, it didn't work. It's alsways worked before but I chalked it up to the web form not taking "pasted" input. But then I tried from a text document to an email...same story. I highlight text with the mouse, do Cmd-C and get a "bong" sound, then go to where I want to paste, do a Cmd-V and nothing gets pasted. I take it the "bong" means some sort of error or invalid input occured?

I restarted the Mini and it worked for a while (at least when I tried it right after logging in). Then yesterday I had to restart my Mini again and the shortcuts aren't working again. If I highlight text and then right-click the mouse and select copy, then move to where I want to paste and right-click and select paste it works fine....just the keyboard shortcuts don't work. I checked the sytem prefs, keyboard pane and saw nothing out of the ordinary.....any ideas out there?

2. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Try a different keyboard before changing anything on the Mac.
    S.

3. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I've had a problem somewhat like this before. Restarting solved my problem, and I also tried to find exactly what I do that caused the shortcuts to stop working.

4. fhall1 thread starter macrumors 68040

fhall1

What I did was go into the keyboard pref pane, keyboard shortcuts tab, then selected the reset to defaults button (even though I've never changed any in the first place)....voila, it's working again....but I will keep track to see if they stop suddenly and see if I can isolate what happened.