Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gstevie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Glasgow
I seem to be having some problems with my keyboard shortcuts. My Apple wireless keyboard has been working fine until today. It has just started stuttering when pressing space and backspace inconsistently. It also seems to double space sometimes. I also seem to have lost the ability to use the functions like switching apps "cmd + tab", "cmd + space" and even some of the shift functions. Copy and paste seem fine for the time. Consistently "cmd+ Q" works fine.

I have tried deleting the Finder preferences .plist and repairing the disk permissions with no success. Randomly some of these functions will work but cannot seem to find a answer on a search for it. Some people are saying the "Dock" is freezing too (I am not having that problem). Anyone have any other suggestions or experience with this?

I should mention I have replaced the batteries of the keyboard to try and fix the problem.

Last edited:

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Good move on the battery replacement. Keyboards get flaky at low voltage.
You've rebooted the Mac?
No new furniture or bluetooth devices in your work area?

gstevie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Glasgow
Good move on the battery replacement. Keyboards get flaky at low voltage.
You've rebooted the Mac?
No new furniture or bluetooth devices in your work area?

Yeah its been restarted and nothing new in the room. The keyboard does seem to be acting really strange acting really slow and won't let me use quotation marks!

gstevie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Glasgow
OK I am beginning to think that the keyboard may be a gonner. I have connected it to my iPad and whilst its working a bit better with some of the commands it's not consistent. And freezing when I am using the space button. I also reinstalled Mavericks on the Mac to see if that would solve anything and no luck.

Need to bite the bullet I think and buy a new one and see what happens.

Before I do, are there any firmware updates or resets that can physically be done to Apple Wireless Keyboards. Whilst the keyboard is essential for me I'd rather not spend £60 when I'm missing something daft.

Just so random. Most of the keys are working properly just random (typically essential) keys are playing up.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Need to bite the bullet I think and buy a new one and see what happens
Before doing that, go in and clean off the battery contacts as best you can; the round metal button with the screw slot in it, the threads it screws into, and the little metal post clear down inside the battery housing. 3 volts is not a lot of oomph, so it doesn't take more than a little bit of crud to mess up the contacts. Alcohol and cotton swabs, or even a little steel wool carefully applied might rejuvenate your keyboard.

gstevie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Glasgow
Before doing that, go in and clean off the battery contacts as best you can; the round metal button with the screw slot in it, the threads it screws into, and the little metal post clear down inside the battery housing. 3 volts is not a lot of oomph, so it doesn't take more than a little bit of crud to mess up the contacts. Alcohol and cotton swabs, or even a little steel wool carefully applied might rejuvenate your keyboard.

Right thanks I will try that when I get home from work.

gstevie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Glasgow
Just tried it and unfortunately I've had no luck with that suggestion. Thanks for the advice - it was something I'd have never thought of and it was worth a try. Amazon it is (nice wee £5 discount) and Prime win out.

gstevie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Glasgow
Right this is getting stranger. I have just bought a new keyboard on line and I swear the current one was waiting on that! So when I was using they keyboard when I hold down the space bar when I am in the finder at 1st it does nothing but after 6 seconds or so the folder preview info pops up and when I then use some of the commands like cmd + space and cmd + shift it actually works! It the randomly stops and when I do the same method again it starts back up.

Not sure exactly whats going on here, other than it really being the keyboard being on the way out or if there was something stuck under the keys thats been shifted. I am gonna see how it goes and if it keeps working the new one can go back! :)

gstevie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Glasgow
New keyboard arrived and its working flawlessly, nice new keyboard matt feel :)

Looks like the old one's time was up, done me well the 4 years and 2 computers its lasted. Not too bad really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.