Keyboard shortcuts

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Meyvn, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Meyvn macrumors 6502

I'm using Snow Leopard on an iMac 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo. Anyway, what I'm trying to do is go into Keyboard Shortcuts under System Prefs. and put in an 'All Applications" shortcut for the play/pause command. Is there any way to do this? It says put in the exact name of the command, and when I put in either Play, Pause, or Play/Pause, it did nothing in iTunes. Surely there's a way? I'd really like to be able to do this, as I'm considering switching to an old keyboard soon that doesn't have the play/pause button.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. Meyvn thread starter macrumors 6502

Call me an idiot, but I can't seem to find this. I can find application-specific ones, are those what you mean? I was trying to get it to mimic what the official Apple play/pause buttons do.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You're using Quicksilver now yes? If so, get the iTunes plugin, then add a custom trigger on your desired keyboard button/combo to run "Play/Pause". I have the following triggers set up right now:

Attached Files:

5. Meyvn thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh. I didn't mean for just iTunes. I can do that. I was wondering if there was a way to do the OS-wide version, which also supports Quicktime and other programs. Is there a Quicktime plugin I can use so it'll at least work for that as well?

6. Searcher macrumors newbie

Same Problem

Is this a bug with snow leopard, I'm having the same issue. All of the other f1-f6 and volume buttons do what they are supposed to but I get nothing from iTunes either.

7. Meyvn thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not a bug, actually. Or anything I'm complaining about. I'm trying to map OTHER keys than the intended ones to do these things through Quicksilver (or another third party app).

Your issue is most likely that in the keyboard preference pane you checked "Use F1, F2 etc keys as standard function keys."

8. Meyvn thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I found a script to do this, but Quicksilver won't execute it. I'll assign it to specific keys, but when I press them I just get the annoying system beep like "don't press that." This is seriously one of the most frustrating programs