Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aslam89

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2013
I just got the iPhone 6 today after being away from iOS for a couple of years.

When using apps like WhatsApp, Line Messenger and Chrome browser, it seems like the keyboard (whether default keyboard or Swiftkey) is rather large and takes up slightly more than half the screen.

I don't notice this on my friends using iPhone 5/5S.

Is there a way to adjust the keyboard size? The vertical height is far too big.

I've tried changing the font size (Settings > Display & Brightness > Text Size) to the smallest but there it doesn't seem to change the keyboard size.

Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

tr43z0r

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
Leicestershire, UK
I just got the iPhone 6 today after being away from iOS for a couple of years.

When using apps like WhatsApp, Line Messenger and Chrome browser, it seems like the keyboard (whether default keyboard or Swiftkey) is rather large and takes up slightly more than half the screen.

I don't notice this on my friends using iPhone 5/5S.

Is there a way to adjust the keyboard size? The vertical height is far too big.

I've tried changing the font size (Settings > Display & Brightness > Text Size) to the smallest but there it doesn't seem to change the keyboard size.

Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'd assume it's because those apps haven't been updated for the increased screen size. Just like how apps that haven't been updated since iOS 7 still have the pre-iOS 7 keyboard design.

RMSko

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I too have noticed this issue and it really bothers me. Hope apps start to get optimized for the 6 and 6 plus (it's worse with the 6 plus I think).

RMSko

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Tho in iOS 8, even older iOS 6 apps now use the new keyboard :)

I think in this case all the apps are using the new keyboard, it's just scaled very differently and there is much more space between the rows, which for me stinks. It's probably b/c the apps haven't been modified for the new screen size. The font size is also too big in many apps vs the native apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.