Keyboard Skin and Case for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ohla313, Jul 15, 2010.

1. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

I am in the market for a keyboard skin for my 2010 13" MBP. I looked at the Moshi but apparently there is a heating issue. What keyboard skins, if any of you use it, do you guys recommend?

And did Speck update their shell cases for the MBP yet?

Thanks

2. troy14 macrumors 6502a

I bought one of those rubber keyboard skins on ebay (the colored one, green to be specific) for 6$. Took about 2 weeks to get to the U.S (from Hong Kong) but it really is great.

Scary to see how much 'crap' gets on top of it and NOT inside my keyboard!

3. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I also ordered a £5 one from eBay it has not arrived yet but I thought I may as well just order a £5 one instead of paying £25 for a Moshi one then if I don't like it I have only wasted £5.

Last time I emailed Speck a week or two ago they said they would have the new cases out in 3 weeks.

4. swl7 macrumors member

moshi clearguard = the best hands down.
    no heating issue. your macbook will get hot anyways.

for the case, I use the specks satin. it fits nicely.

5. atrac7 macrumors regular

None. One of the best parts of the MBP is the great tactile feedback on its bare keys.

That being said, if you must get one, the Moshi one is probably the best route to go. Although I heard all keyboard covers will end up murky and mucky in the long run, no matter how much you wash it.

6. Viktor Vaughn macrumors newbie

Not sure if it is the "best" but I really like my BookBook from twelvesouth

7. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

moshi is probably the best one

but if you want to pay a fraction of the price, go for a good silicone one on ebay

I bought a few off of there and I definitely like the one I just got the best ($1.99). First one is the thin silicone that does not cover the ridge in between the keyboard and speakers if this were a 15" or 17". The second one covers the ridge which I don't like and it is also thicker+ less transparent which I also dislike.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and yes, Speck has updated their cases, look for the item numbers with "-D" at the end for the latest gen

just ordered my speck black satin

8. ceshimm macrumors member

i like the first one as well, can i have the name of this skin?

9. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

yes what is the skin called? I just ordered the moshi. I got a speck see thru case for the 2009 MBP 13" model, is it any different than the 2010 speck release? I don't see any difference in the photos on amazon.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Darnit, I'm sorry I didn't catch this thread before you ordered. The Moshi Clearguard sucks for the keyboard. It gets cloudy very quickly from skin oil and wear and it's near impossible to get it cleaned like new again. Not only that, it doesn't fit well and typing on it takes a while to get used to, not to mention it nullifies the look of the backlit keyboard. Check out reviews on Youtube, most of them will complain about how cloudy it gets and the residue won't come off.

I've been using the iSkin Protouch FX and it's the best. It has a nice rubber-like grippy feel to it, very easy to type on, it's colored to match the keyboard and it has etchings for each key to work with the backlit keyboard.
    http://www.iskin.com/protouch_macbook/fx_features.html#continue

11. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

[​IMG]

There's no name, it's from a ebay overseas seller
    takes about 1.5 weeks to receive

it does have a stickier feeling since it's silicone, but it's not bad if you get used to it
    plus it won't wrinkle like the moshi if you fold it or crumple it into a ball
    the moshi has less of a sticky feel since it's made out of polyurethane or some related material

here's the link, it's $1.98, those pictures in the product description are not real photos of the product
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Keyboard-Silico...ltDomain_0&hash=item1c135cce5c#ht_1592wt_1139

and about the case, yes there's a difference, the plastic behind the magsafe port is purposely designed not to obstruct the new magsafe
    I made sure by asking a speck facebook rep

I'm pretty sure amazon simply took the pictures from the old product

12. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

aw man...dammit. well if i can return it, i'll try the iskin or the $2 one.

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I like both...

Get the Incase over the Speck, I've owned multiples of both - Incase makes better stuff.

14. Audrey313 macrumors member

When you click on the link, it says the listing has been closed for over 90 days and wont show details. So could you please share the seller? Thanks in advance!

Also, are the new Speck cases in the Apple store, on the website, etc etc? Where can I find the updated version?

15. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

try this link
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Keyboard-Silico...ltDomain_0&hash=item1c135cce5c#ht_1592wt_1139

I'm not sure about the cases on apple's website since the model number doesn't match the new one, try the apple store B&M or if you're looking for the black satin then amazon has the new version, the other colors are on preorder. Other websites have them too, just look for "-D" at the end of the product number.

new black satin version @ amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Product...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279263034&sr=8-6

also available @ provantage, items 4, 5 and 6 are the new ones that fit the new magsafe for the macbook pro 13
    http://www.provantage.com/scripts/search.dll?QUERY=speck+satin+13&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0