Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluesun89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2014
Hi,

Does anyone uses keyboard silicon skin on a rMBP 13 ? And does it work smoothly, & without heating ? not annoying to use it in the long run?

I am talking about item like these, normally meant to prevent from liquid spill

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-APPLE-M...6?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_205&hash=item46115f9190)

I am going to renew my macbook pro (2009), for a rMBP - but due to the laptop getting much pricier in Europe.. I am considering buying one 2nd hand off ebay, but they have different keyboard layer than my home country - but i thought I can just put a keyboard skin to address that that (and adjust it in the os settings)

My only worr, is that, when I tried such skins on my MBP (2009), i noticed that after a certain time (like 30min) it starts to heat up (i assume the air cooling architecture somehow transfered some air through the keys on that model? ) so I didnt use it in the end. Is it likely to be an issue with a rMBP too ?

Thanks for any help you can provide on this !

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Here's what Apple says (never mind that there are keyboard covers for rMBPs for sale in the Apple Store):

MacBook Pro with Retina display: Do not use palm rest or keycap covers

Leaving any material on the top case (keyboard and palm rest area) could result in damage to the display when you close it. This includes palm rest or keyboard covers, as well as any adhesive-backed keycap additions.

To enable the thin design of MacBook Pro with Retina display computers, the clearance between the display and the top case is engineered to tight tolerances. Do not use palm rest covers or keycap covers, as the additional thickness may interfere with the designed closed position of the display.

Information about products not manufactured by Apple, or independent websites not controlled or tested by Apple, is provided without recommendation or endorsement. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance, or use of third-party websites or products. Apple makes no representations regarding third-party website accuracy or reliability. Risks are inherent in the use of the Internet. Contact the vendor for additional information.

Last Modified: Mar 10, 2015

bluesun89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2014
Thanks for the answer - but i actually dont intend to close the rMBP with the skin on, will pull it out before closing.
Just wondering if it hampers proper ventilation for example

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Thanks for the answer - but i actually dont intend to close the rMBP with the skin on, will pull it out before closing.
Just wondering if it hampers proper ventilation for example

Oh - misunderstood the question. My hunch, for what it's worth, is that relatively little heat is radiated through the keyboard. First, I've never noticed that area getting warm even when an rMBP or MBA was getting toasty. Second, it wouldn't be a very efficient area for heat dissipation because the surface is mostly plastic keys, which aren't going to conduct or radiate much heat. If hot air was passively escaping around the keys, you would have noticed it. :)

You may not find the experience all that satisfying, and in any case there are lots of other points for liquid ingress, depending on how the spill happens and how much is spilled.

Android300zx

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2012
Hmm...

I have a KB Covers Keyboard Skin, Moshi Screen Protector (Retina) and a Moshi Palmguard and Trackguard installed on my Macbook Pro 2015. No issues here with closing the lid and it leaving marks on the screen. I also don't have an issue with any heat.

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
i have a keyboard cover on mine and have noticed it leaving marks on my screen but it doesn't bother me. I just wipe it down with a microfiber cloth and its all good. Nothing permanent.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
There is no ventilation through the keyboard area. In fact, if you happen to go on YouTube, and search for videos of people replacing their keyboards, you will see that due to the parts involved (light diffuser, the keyboard, etc) not much air is going to be sucked in through there. It will come in through the cooling vents on the sides of the bottom case, and get blown out the back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.