Keyboard Spillage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hgill, Jul 10, 2009.

1. hgill macrumors newbie

Last night, I spilled a little bit (literally not more than 2 Tablespoons) of sugary, milky tea on the right hand side of the keyboard. I tried to dry it immediately. But soon thereafter, none of the keys worked.

I turned the computer off and started it back up this morning. Now some of the keys work, and the number "8" is constantly depressed 88888888888888888888 flashes all across the screen whenever i'm ready to type.

Here are my questions:
    1) to provide a short term fix, how can I override the computer's own keyboard (turn it off) so i can use my external USB keyboard
    2) should I try to clean it myself?
    3) if I take it in to the Genius Bar (I'm under warranty) will they help me, or turn me away and comprimise my warranty?

Thanks in advance.

2. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

They will repair it at your expense. Spills are never covered by warranty since it's your fault.

3. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

This has happened to me before, and I googled for solutions. A very weird one that turned up all over the place is to turn the keyboard upside down and leave it there for 24 hours. This literally worked for me. Weird but effective, I think! If not, bring it to the Apple store.

4. klee1987 macrumors regular

I recommend you get a keyboard cover......$10~20 USD- it's a good investment!

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg