Keyboard Stopped Functioning with Boot Camp with XP SP2

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Leonffs, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Leonffs macrumors newbie

Using: Macbook 2ghz with Windows XP SP2 on boot camp.

I've been running Boot camp with Windows XP SP2 for a while now. Earlier today I went in and tried to login to windows... but my keyboard has decided to stop working when I boot into windows! It works fine in OS X but it won't work at all when I boot into windows. I can't even turn on the caps lock key! I tried inserting my windows disk to do a repair installation, but I cant hit a key when it says press any key to boot from disc!

Does anyone have any sort of solution to this?

2. sulhaq macrumors regular

sulhaq

lol the EXACT same thing happened to me today. Here's how I solved the problem without having to go through the painful re-format re-install procedure.

Firstly, you either need an external keyboard or a virtualization software. I had Parallels so I was good to go. I don't know if an external keyboard will work or not as I haven't tried that. If your windows doesn't detect the external keyboard you're out of luck. All you can do then is either reformat, or get a virtualization software like Parallels or VMware. Anyway here's what I did.

1. Booted up into OS X.
    2. Loaded my bootcamp partition into Paralells and started Windows from within the mac.
    3. Since I was in OS X naturally the keyboard was working. I logged into windows and disabled my login password.
    4. Shut down computer and restarted and booted up into windows under bootcamp. Since now the Password was gone I could log into windows.
    5. Re-installed all the Mac-Windows Drivers from my MacWin Drivers CD.
    6. Rebooted and everything was fine.

Hope this helps and you solve your problem. Good luck.