Keyboard stops working after Mac Mini wakes from sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ZeratulsAvenger, Aug 8, 2007.

1. ZeratulsAvenger macrumors newbie

I have an obscure brand USB keyboard that I am trying to use with my Mac Mini, with one problem: after the Mini goes to sleep and wakes up again, the keyboard doesn't work. The solution is to either unplug and replug the keyboard or restart, but both are I think unnecessary hassles.

What I like even more is that the keyboard will wake the Mini (by pressing the spacebar or something), but won't work after that.

I also tried a plain ol' Apple keyboard, which works just fine after sleeping/waking.

Any ideas on what's going wrong, or how to fix it without replugging/restarting? It's just a keyboard, so I don't see why it should pose as any real problem after waking, so buying a new keyboard is not quite what I am looking for. I may end up doing it anyways (a wireless one to go with the wireless MX1000 I am using) but at the moment I don't want to spend money for a new keyboard.

It's a 1.66GHz Core Duo, 512MB RAM, 60GB HD, OS X 10.4.10.

Thanks for your help.

2. ZeratulsAvenger thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump along with more info.

Ok, so today I woke the Mini and its resolution had defaulted back to 800x600. I am using it on an old 15" monitor until I fly down to college (where I have a monitor... Not worth paying shipping to fly it back and forth between Alaska and the lower 48) and normally the resolution is set at 1024x768.

I've tried searching for that issue as well as the keyboard one with no real luck. Any ideas? I tried resetting the SMC, but that didn't help the keyboard issue either. The resolution I just set back to 1024x768, but I can't really test that issue.

Thanks for the help.

3. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

I have this same issue with my macbook.. I have to unplug usb keyboard and plug it back in and then it works again.

Zack

4. redtagman macrumors newbie

I have this same issue with my Mac Mini.

The fix: wake your computer from sleep using a mouse click instead of the space bar. Then your keyboard should work fine after waking.

5. rschneid macrumors newbie

I have the same. The fix by "redtagman" doesn't work for me.

Any other suggestions?