Keyboard Stops Working?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jhamerphoto, Oct 20, 2008.

1. jhamerphoto macrumors regular

Who knows if I'll be able to get through this post, but I just bought a new MBP, and after probably about 20 minutes of having it on, the keyboard stops working. I'm usually running Photoshop, Lightroom, Messenger and Safari at the time, and it just randomly stops. The control, option, command, shift, all f number, esc and eject keys still work, but nothing else.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Any ideas on how to fix it? I'm making an appointment with the Apple store for wednesday, I can't deal with a notebook with a broken keyboard.

Thanks guys.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Wirelessly posted (iPhone G3 (64GB, 2.4): Mozilla/7.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_4 like Mac OS X; en-ca) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Geico) Version/3.7.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

The best thing to do is take it back - there might be a faulty connection, but if you want, you could try reinstalling OS X from the restore DVDs. You might have some corrupted kext files or firmware for the keyboard.

3. jhamerphoto thread starter macrumors regular

-_-

After I waited hours for it to start from my Time Machine backup? There's 130gb of files already on my hard drive, including all my applications, and I'd rather not return/restore.

Any other thoughts?
    Thanks though, I appreciate the reply.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Wirelessly posted (iPhone G3 (64GB, 2.4): Mozilla/7.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_4 like Mac OS X; en-ca) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Geico) Version/3.7.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)
    Not at the moment, but if there are others out there that have this problem, it may be something like the keyboard issue with the older MBs and MBPs. Every once in a while, the first keystroke would not be recognized. We'll just have to wait and see.

5. jhamerphoto thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh yes, my late 2006 MBP always has that problem. Hopefully this will be fixed quite soon. I made an appointment for Thursday between my classes, hopefully they can tell me at least something (but probably not). They'll likely say "well we can't say anything because it's so new."
    Thanks for your help, r.j.s

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No problem. Post back and let us know what they tell you, so we can pass the info on to others that might have this problem.

7. jhamerphoto thread starter macrumors regular

Will do. I'm also going to call support tomorrow to get an answer faster, so I can cancel my appointment in time.

8. jhamerphoto thread starter macrumors regular

Well I called Apple, and they said they haven't heard of it since the problem is so new. They just got me to do an SMC and a PRAM reset, just to see if that helps and gave me reference number if the problem presists. It stopped anyway a day ago, but I think it was because I disabled spaces. It seemed the problem occurred when I changed spaces.