Keyboard suggestions, just started taking lessons.

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by SamIchi, Oct 24, 2007.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

After 9 months since I made a thread about taking piano lessons, I finally made the decision and got my first lesson today. So now I need to look for a keyboard so I can practice.

Preferably 61 keys or higher with weighted keys. I was thinking a Midi controller since I really want to eventually incorporate it into Garageband and stuff. I know keyboards and piano will be different but ultimately I want to go keyboard. My instructor said weighted is the best. I've checked the M-audio (the only brand I know of for Midi) site and only see semi-weighted, would that work? Is "Key-Hammer action" the same thing as weighted?

Give me some suggestions. Hopefully not too expensive since I am just starting. And any other tips when shopping for a keyboard. I want to get one soon.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

personally, i can't learn "classical" piano pieces on a keyboard. these days i own a piano, but prior to that i rented one for a year. the deal included drop-off and pick-up and it wasn't all that expensive (a dollar or two a day).

3. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

zimv,

I have often heard this advise, and I don't doubt it. But what would you recommend to someone who wants to play the piano but also needs it to output MIDI to a computer? Is there such a thing?

- Martin

4. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

If you can, I'd recommend going into a local music store to try out some different brands of keyboards/midi controllers. Most weighted ones are pretty good - but the different brands can have a different feel to them, so you may prefer one over the other.

Also, most 61 key keyboards won't have weighted (or semi-weighted) action. To get that you usually need to go up to a 76 or 88 key model.

A good online store to shop is Musician's Friend.

Here's a list of keyboard controllers they sell.

Or, you might consider a digital piano - which have a few built-in sounds but are more expensive.

5. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

See the thing is, I'm not big into classical, but then again, I don't really know what kind of piano music I like. I'm just starting off but I know classical isn't going to be my point of focus. So I guess I'm looking for something in between/versatile. I've read about the pros and cons of keyboard vs piano. I just don't want them to be so different that when it comes to playing on specifically piano or keyboard I'll get tripped up. I don't know if that's a realistic view, but I'm trying to find out.

Thanks for the site and suggestion. I'll probably take a look around and try out some keys, but I don't really know what I'm looking for since I'm just starting.

I don't want to go the digital piano route since they are more expensive, and I want a midi device as I see it is most logical for my needs.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i put classical in quotes to mean anything written specifically for the piano.

i was (badly :) classically trained, so while i can play, say, a Debussy piece on a weighted keyboard, i need to learn it on a piano first. there have been great strides made in controllers and sound modules, but it's not the same as playing a real piano.

there are midi guitars, too, but i don't hear anyone suggesting people learn guitar on them.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yamaha makes some midi-fied pianos, but, really, i'd say rent a piano and buy a cheap controller.