Keyboard suggestions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by theSeb, Nov 9, 2011.

1. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I've tried to get on with the Apple wired keyboard, I really have, but the two of just can't sort out our differences. My biggest issue is that it's just not very comfortable (for me) to type on due to the lack of a palm rest and I hate the lack of key travel.

Has anybody got any alternative suggestions. I would ideally like something with a Cherry MX Brown mechanical switch type keys and that has the Apple layout.

Does such a beast exist? Frankly even if I could find something like my MBA keyboard or my MBP keyboard without the screen would be great.

I noticed that Logitech have the solar mac keyboard out. Any thoughts on it?

2. Sammy Cat macrumors member

Matias Tactile Pro

It will set you back $120, but it is the best keyboard going with springs for each key. It is like the old IBM keyboards. Some consider it loud. If you cant stand the newer keyboards with poor feedback then this one is for you. The downside is that it is not wireless. It is expensive, but it should last you several computers. A great buy IMHO.

3. paulisme macrumors 6502

I have the Logitech solar keyboard. If you don't like the travel on the Mac keyboard, you won't like the Logitech, either. Also, if using the function keys as actual function keys is important to you, forget the Logitech since it doesn't respect that setting in OS X. I do a lot of programming on my Mac so this is a huge annoyance.

4. theSeb thread starter macrumors 604

theSeb

I don't mind the price nor the corded aspect. The feedback and comfort are the two important factors to me. I've found the UK version on amazon.co.uk for £118. A bit pricey but I am going to give it a try.

----------

Thanks for the response. I guess the Logitech is out then.

5. labars macrumors member

Razer has the Black Widow with Mac layout. It uses Cherry MX Blues or Cherry MX Browns for the "Stealth" version.

6. theSeb thread starter macrumors 604

theSeb

Quick update: I've got my Matias Tactile Pro and it's the best keyboard I've ever used. It reminds me a bit of the keyboard I used with my first PC (286 AT) and it's lovely in every way - an absolute pleasure to type on. It is somewhat loud, but I enjoy it and it lets me type very quickly.

Thank you for the suggestion.