Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
I believe it was since I installed SwiftKey that whenever I turn off/on the screen with the keyboard popped out, it reverts to stock keyboard. Anyone knows what's going on?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I believe it was since I installed SwiftKey that whenever I turn off/on the screen with the keyboard popped out, it reverts to stock keyboard. Anyone knows what's going on?

Been like that since 3rd party keyboards were introduced. Some keyboards are better than others. I use Fleksy and it doesn't usually revert back to the stock keyboard unless I have to input a password, which is by design.

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
Been like that since 3rd party keyboards were introduced. Some keyboards are better than others. I use Fleksy and it doesn't usually revert back to the stock keyboard unless I have to input a password, which is by design.
That's bad, it's actually highly annoying as it is right now. I understand the change when entering a password, but now it's always a mess when I leave open the keyboard. Reason I use SwiftKey is because of the multilanguage predictive text. Fleksy doesn't have that so I'd have to switch languages all the time. This sucks...

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
Sometimes changing orientation reverts to stock keyboard as well.

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
Have you in keyboard settings pressed edit and drug the new 3rd party keyboard to the top of the list. I have also "deleted" the stock English input method from the list too.
This will result in always having Swiftkey.

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
Have you in keyboard settings pressed edit and drug the new 3rd party keyboard to the top of the list. I have also "deleted" the stock English input method from the list too.
This will result in always having Swiftkey.
I did drag it to the top but haven't deleted the other keyboards. I have now and I think the problem is solved. Thanks!

Reactions: jgelin

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I did drag it to the top but haven't deleted the other keyboards. I have now and I think the problem is solved. Thanks!

It's unlikely this will solve your problem. Why would I know that? I have taken the same steps and my Swype keyboard still sometimes reverts to stock. 3rd party keyboards have been buggy as hell since they were introduced. They're getting better but can still be flaky.

Last edited:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I gave up on third party keyboard for their inconsistency...
I hope Apple will finally release a swiping keyboard in the future.

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
why I can't stay dedicated is the performance issues and there not being dictation on 3rd party keyboards.

Swype is cool and all, but when I can't use my voice I'm out.

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
I speak and write in two languages . I use Swiftkey . Is it possible to delete all stock keyboards and only keep Swiftkey ?

Last edited:

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I speak and write in two languages . I use Swiftkey . Is it possible to delete all stock keyboards and only keep Swiftkey ?

Yes but it doesn't actually achieve anything, all it will do is stop you manually selecting the stock keyboard.

Swiftkey will still occasionally bug back to stock. The code is built into iOS, I assume so it can handle password duty if you have that option enabled.

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
Well it helped a lot for me to delete the stock keyboard. Otherwise whenever I turned off the screen with the keyboard out, or mostly any other time, it got reverted to stock. Now I haven't got reverted to stock yet for a week, except for passwords but that's normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.