Keyboard symbols and characters. Where?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kenn, Feb 25, 2009.

1. kenn macrumors member

How do you find symbols/characters on a MacBook keyboard? I was on a Mac suited for a small EU country and the characters, like "}" , were just not easy to find. Is there a layout one can have on the screen to find characters and symbols fast?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Are you referring to Edit > Special Characters?

3. lordthistle macrumors 6502

You can go to System Pref -> International -> Input Menu and

1. tick "Show input menu ..."
    2. Character palette
    3. Tick also US layout (or better tick English International that has the same number of keys - US has one less).

afterward, from the menu bar you can
    - switch to US layout and type as if you were on a US keyboard
    - open the character palette and look for the symbol

On the italian keyboard, { } and other symbols are missing. You can obtain those braces (on IT layout and on others without curly braces) by pressing
    opt+shift+[ ]

thistle

4. pcrecord macrumors newbie

How to find symbols and characters on the Mac

Hi everyone,

I see you were looking for information on the Character Viewer. This has now changed a little from the Mac OS X to Leopard. I have created a detailed post and free ebook on the subject.

To visit the post please go to: How to find symbols and characters on the Mac

For the free ebook on the Keyboard and Character Viewer this can be downloaded directly. Download the Keyboard and Character Viewer ebook

I hope you enjoy the information, and hope this helps everyone with the Characters and Symbols on the Mac.