Keyboard that appears when I click in Safari address field

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Naz2900, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Naz2900 macrumors newbie

Whenever I am in Safari and click on the address bar on top to type in new page to go to I get a keyboard which has both SPACE button and a period "." Button to the right of it which causes me to have a period after every word as I keep hitting it rather than space button. When I type text messages or even a search within Google webpage search box I get keyboard with only space bar on bottom and not period button. Is there anyway to get this same keyboard for use with Safari address bar input?? Hate the period button being right next to space button. Thanks for any help.

2. Naz2900 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is example of what I am talking about.

Here is attachment

Attached Files:

3. chabig macrumors 68040

That's Apple's keyboard design. You need a period key to type URLs. So you have two choices: 1) get used to it, or 2) install a third-party keyboard that you like.

4. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

because many people use the address bar to go straight to a website rather than instigating a web search, there's a period next to the space bar for easy entry of the extension.

I'm sure you know that if you hold on the period, a pop-up of extensions (.com, .org, etc.) comes up to save that fraction of a second in completing web addresses.

Sorry if you find it an annoyance - it's actually a time saver for most.

5. Naz2900 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Abe!! I actually did not know about holding period down for extensions. Odd thing is my wife has exactly same phone and does not have this period in keyboard when using address bar. That's why I thought there was an option to turn off?

6. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

This is one of the reasons I miss the separate Google search bar we used to have. Instead of this single bar stuff. And buttons for .com etc were more pronounced because when you wanted to go to a web address it was just for addresses.

7. Naz2900 thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly. Really a change for the sake of change that broke something that was perfect.

8. nateofmelb macrumors regular

nateofmelb

I.do.the.same.thing

No.. seriously, I do! Its so annoying!

9. Naz2900 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha Nate. So glad I am not alone with dotting every word lol

10. Naz2900 thread starter macrumors newbie

11. cymolia macrumors 6502a

if your willing to jailbreak there's a tweak to remove that annoying period button

"Go.Away.Period.Button "

source http://rcrepo.com