Keyboard Thoughts?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by w00t951, Apr 15, 2010.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

What are your thoughts about the Apple bluetooth keyboard? I am think of ordering one (my iPad is in transit) along with an Apple case.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I like the chicklet keys. Its just like the Macbook keyboard. I find that mine wireless one gets good battery life and reconnects quickly to me iMac.

3. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

So you would recommend getting it, that it is worth the $70?

4. mrcc macrumors regular

not now no. maybe later on. but its not in dire need for it. i will rather type on the touch screen. maybe for long notes or for school. then yes. but normally no.

5. danny_w macrumors 601

Can somebody that has one give the dimensions? I could not find them on the Apple site. I have a Timbuk2 Netbook Messenger (Freestyle) bag and wondered if the BT keyboard would fit. I had been considering getting one for my iMac anyway. Is it easy to pair with the iPad, and can it be paired with both the iMac and the iPad at the same time, or do I have to pair/unpair as needed?

6. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

You can alternatively get the normal apple wireless keyboard, if you don't want to dock your iPad.

7. shapefactor macrumors newbie

i think he is referring to the apple wireless keyboard, not the keyboard dock for the ipad.

8. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Maybe. Both are good. I would get the Normal Wireless Keyboard, as you can use it with other computers.

9. custom875 macrumors member

custom875

Very good keyboard in my opinion. Great battery life and very portable. i hardly notice it when its in my bag.

10. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

So there is no danger of bending it or denting it if you just throw it in... A carry-on bag during a flight? I travel a lot and I bought my iPad for this reason, to use Pages (a shame that you can't sync over WiFi with a Mac yet) in-flight.

11. custom875 macrumors member

custom875

I would think not. Seems very durable. I carry mine around all over town. Carry it in a Tumi backpack or messenger bag mixed with other accessories.

12. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

13. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

I was going to get the dock keyboard but think the wireless might be a better option for me, a little more flexible

14. sandydlc macrumors regular

Love it!!!

I worked from home the other day and used my iPad and bt apple keyboard instead of my MBP, just for fun. It worked just great and reconnected easily when needed.

15. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

I made so many mistakes on the virtual keyboard that I decided to try the BT wireless keyboard. It's much better for entering copious amounts of text or posting comments on this forum.*

It's nice to have a TAB key, arrow keys, and function keys (volume, brightness, play/pause, etc.). I find SHIFT+arrow an easier way to select a word, Command+A a better way to select all, and Command+X, C, and V a faster way to cut/copy/paste. Characters like %, _, and + require two key clicks before they appear on the virtual keyboard. They always are there on the BT keyboard.*

So I carry the BT keyboard wherever I go in my messenger bag along with the iPad. It only weighs 11 ounces. (The keyboard dock weights 24 ounces -- as heavy as the iPad -- too heavy to tote and too thick to even put in my bag.)

16. danny_w macrumors 601

Can you tell me how long it is? I have a Timbuk2 Netbook Messenger (Freestyle) bag and wondered if the BT keyboard would fit. I had been considering getting one for my iMac anyway. Is it easy to pair with the iPad, and can it be paired with both the iMac and the iPad at the same time, or do I have to pair/unpair as needed?

17. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

I used one in the Apple store the other day while racing to find a data recovery guy online (the employee's idea, not mine, to borrow their computer). Really loved the fact it was like typing on my MBP--as someone who's seriously picky-picky-picky about keystroke, that's a major achievement.

Ten minutes after leaving the store, it occurred to me: "Hey--that keyboard felt good." Had I not been on such a dead run, would probably have recognized the fact at the moment, then whipped out the Visa card.

Very sleek, very compact. Wouldn't hesitate to slip it into a bag.

18. jtara macrumors 65816

I bought the Bluetooth keyboard to go with my iPad 3G. It was just laying around (since I don't have the 3G yet) and a visiting Italian student photographed it and make it her Facebook Profile picture.

Design win. ;)

19. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

I'm using the dock with keyboard setup and I'm loving it.

20. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

There's something wrong with your damn avatar, it won't load. :confused:

21. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Well the wife picked me up the keyboard dock today at the Apple Store. Guess I was thinking it was BT also for some reason. But alas.....

Anyway I guess my questions are, is there anyway to use the arrow keys? For example when in mail to scroll through messages? Furthermore has anyone been able to get keyboard shortcuts to work in Google Reader?

I know have a dock, the keyboard dock and a 3rd party foldable BT keyboard. I just now have to figure out what works best.

Thanks
    David

22. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

That is his avatar. Works as intended I see :D