Keyboard to Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by xman1212, Nov 19, 2014.

1. xman1212 macrumors newbie

I just bought a Casio WK-225 keyboard to learn the piano on. I'm also somewhat new to Macs. Is there a fairly inexpensive way to connect the keyboard to my Mac wirelessly?

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

If you are just learning it will be some time before you will want to record what you play. But it looks like USB is the only why to get MIDI data out of that keyboard.

3. asriznet macrumors regular

I think you can connect a standard 3.5MM headphone cable from line in port of the mac mini to they headphone out of the keyboard - that is if you have the older mac mini with line in port.

I think the newer macs, they removed this.

4. Ken Kaniff macrumors regular

He doesn't have to be a pro to want to hook up to his computer, but I do agree USB is probably the only option. He also didn't actually say he wanted to record anything.

OP didn't say he wanted to record anything.

xman1212, when I had my Macbook Pro and a Casio keyboard, I also wanted to learn. Mine was older and I had to purchase a MIDI to USB adapter but the point I wanted to make is I found an awesome little game called Synthesia. If you want to learn how to play, I highly recommend you check it out. http://www.synthesiagame.com/ Also Garage Band has some great tutorials as well. As stated above, you probably won't be able to do this wireless.. best to set up your gear near your Mac as you'll need to see the screen for the game I mentioned anyways. :)

5. xman1212 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info, I wasn't wanting to record anything just for learning purposes. But yeah, I pretty much need to see the monitor for that, so I guess wireless would petty pointless. But thanks, I'll check out that website.