Keyboard to select options in dialogue boxes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cams, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Cams macrumors regular

I'm running Leopard on my new iMac. On Windows, when presented with a dialogue box such as Don't Save / Save / Cancel, I could use either the cursor keys to move between the options and hit the return key to select it OR use the assigned letter key for the option I wanted. On Leopard there seems to be no way to do this and I have to reach for the mouse. This is getting more and more annoying so I thought I would ask here if there is a way to use the keyboard to do this.

Anyone know?

Thanks
    Cams

2. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

It's quite simple. All you need to do is tab to the correct option (it will have a blue ring around it) and space bar to select.

But first you need to put full keyboard access on:
    [​IMG]

3. Cams thread starter macrumors regular

Brilliant! Thank you so much Jasonbot. The screenshot was most helpful too (how did you do that?) - there's no Print Screen button!

It's really comforting to know that these forums are here and that folks are so helpful around these here parts.

Cams

4. dcv macrumors G3

^Look at the screenshot again for the shortcuts ;) otherwise you should find an application called Grab (I think it lives in the applications\utilities folder)

5. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

lol yeah, its cmd-shift-4 then drag teh area you want. Grab is quite primitive in my opinion.