Keyboard/track pad not working!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by khashayar, Dec 6, 2012.

1. khashayar, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012

khashayar macrumors newbie

Hi everybody,

Today, something strange happened to my Macbook 13" (Macbook 7,1 identifier, Mid 2010). After the usual start up I realized that the keyboard and trackpad do not work. Only the numbers on top would work. Trackpad clicks turned into Right-Click anywhere I tried it. After all, I tried to use the on-screen keyboard software to start googling about it, and that's when I realized that the letter keys are not even enabled there.
    keybaord.jpg

People offered trying some key combinations upon booting up but again nothing seemed to fix the issue.

While playing with the on-screen keyboard I realized that when I push the key "0" and hold it, everything comes back to normal. All the letters and trackpad. the only problem is that I have to hold the "0" key to be able to use the keyboard and trackpad. that's very strange and I have no idea what's wrong with my laptop.

If anyone has any suggestion, please please share it with me.

Thanks,
    Khashayar

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you tried restarting your Mac? If not, it's worth trying.

3. khashayar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response. I have to say that I had to restart the notebook in order to try the combination keys upon startup.

4. soapsudz macrumors member

Could it be a failing keyboard/trackpad cable? I had the same problem with my 2006 Macbook, the cable under the trackpad needed some pressure on it before the keyboard/trackpad would work properly.

That said, I've also had occassional problems with clicks turning into right clicks when waking up from sleep with BetterTouchTool enabled. The latest version seems to have fixed that.

5. khashayar thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you have the exact same issue? Because holding the "0" key seems to fix it, I don't know if it's a software bug or hardware. If that's software, then I won't need to open the case, right?

anyway, thanks for your input. I look forward to your next posts.

K

6. soapsudz macrumors member

On my 2006 Macbook, what I ended up doing was to remove the battery, put a tiny folded piece of paper directly on the trackpad cable, then put the battery back in. That put enough pressure on the cable to straighten out whatever bends that were distorting the signal.

I don't know how the 2010 Macbook cable runs so this fix might not work. You could also try doing a PRAM reset: power on, hold Command-Option-P-R together, wait until it reboots again.