Keyboard & Trackpad stopped working on 17" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TraceyS/FL, Feb 10, 2009.

1. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

2.33 ghz Feb 07 MBP, 10.4.11, 3gb RAM, only a QT update is showing as needed.

Last night i went to type my password in the dark on the laptop (its a personal problem that i can't manage to type it by touch on my external keyboard) and it failed.

Hmmm, oh wait, i'm not TYPING anything.... and gee, the trackpad isn't working. I had to get up and turn the light one (backlight was OFF on the keyboard btw, so that wasn't my first indicator).

I checked the other account that was logged in - and it didn't work in it either. That account was recording in EyeTV, so i wasn't able to try anything.... i just used the external and went to bed.

I finally was able to try rebooting and that didn't fix it. I tired searching the forum and everything seemed to be all over the place - Leopard problem, short, magic.....

The deal is that the computer is right now recording on EyeTV, that is its main purpose at the moment (sadly). It has been sitting on a Griffin Elevator since August and not moved. I use the external KB (usb) and BT mighty mouse (until the battery dies - then i use the trackpad till i find batteries or steal them from the kids Wii remotes :D). There has been:
    • no software upgrades applied, either Apple or 3rd party
    • no hardware changes except to plug/unplug a USB DVD burner and a FW drive a few times
    • RAM was installed in August
    • no physical movement of the machine in MONTHS
    • it's plugged into a battery backup UPS
    • it's still running Tiger

And sadly, i can't take the computer, that is covered by Apple Care until Feb 2010, to the store to get it looked at/fixed until the semester is over in late May. I need these classes recorded.

I saw that on the SR MBPs there appears to be an issue with the connector - but i don't have a SR one. I guess i just really need to vent this morning (i'm already frustrated that my laptop can't be used as i need it to at the moment), then i'll go back and compile a list of things to try. I did try the "hold your palm over the trackpad for 5 seconds" thing and that didn't work.

What i can't do is archive and reinstall - i just don't have TIME at the moment. I don't have time for this right now on time of recording and other personal crap. Hey, maybe a laptop with a broken keyboard will be a cheaper asset during a divorce division of property?!?!

Thanks for listening.... back to the days work.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm sorry, but I've got to ask: Have you checked to see whether you pushed the "Num Lock" key by accident??

Repair permissions?

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I believe that there used to be a "disable trackpad when using mouse" (or something similar) setting in Tiger. Have you checked system preferences to see if that is checked?

4. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

Not that. it's DEAD.

But that wouldn't make the keyboard NOT work. I have to use that setting on the old iBook since it really needed the trackpad replaced since it freaks when you get near it.

That just said, i just noticed tht the shift key is screwed up - slightly twisted, and now leaning. WHy do i feel the sudden urger to holler at a certain 4 year old in the house that was over here doing something the other day (brought me something from the area). UGH.

Off to investigate.

ETA: I reseated the shift key and nothing magically started working. I'll move on to another reboot, repair permissions and ______ at the next break i have. UGH.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I know I remembered the one about the disable trackpad when mouse is present, thus I assumed that there would be a similar one for the keyboard. But I assume you checked it and it was not checked?

6. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

Actually, i don't see it on the System prefs. I've gone over them with a fine tooth comb looking for it. But short of it having gotten turned on with a keystroke, there isn't anyway it could have happened. The screen saver is password protected, and when i up it put it to sleep. I wonder if the mouse setting just activates when you have a USB mouse plugged in? (Nope, just plugged in my wireless MS mouse from my mini and it didn't add that choice, maybe it was a Panther choice?)

I didn't make any changes - i used them over the weekend and now they aren't working.

UGH.... looking at my schedule i can't do squat until friday night at the earliest. At that point i'll shut it down and check the cable and such - and then do the software stuff. Unless i find a window sooner.....

:banghead: I wish this smilie worked here.

7. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

I had a crash and had to power down by holding the power button down.

Keyboard and trackpad starting working after that.

WHich is fine by me - but i hate stuff like that.