Keyboard/trackpad won't work

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Melismatic, May 23, 2013.

1. Melismatic, May 23, 2013
    Last edited: May 23, 2013

Melismatic macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Was playing Age of Empires in Bootcamp last night.

Managed to split some sugary tea just over the CMD+ALT buttons.

I soaked it up with a tissue as quick as I could and it all seemed fine so I closed the laptop and went to bed.

This morning, I have had numerous problems. Any click on the trackpad brings up the little menu that I can't get rid of. I now can't even use the keyboard as it won't allow me to type anything, so I can't even get past the login stage.

Is this perhaps a hardware issue? Could anyone suggest what to do?

Thanks in advance.

**UPDATE**

So now the keys keep changing,

For some reason the backspace button is controlling the volume,

I can type but only if I hold down the ctrl button,

I am genuinely confused!

2. Eric Lee macrumors newbie

Hi Melismatic,

the keyboard is made from different "layers". If there was liquid spilled onto the keyboard and it managed to get in between those layers (or on top of the "contact layer") it will produce short-circuits hence making it appear as if random keys were pressed.

Now you could just try to let the keyboard dry (don't use excessive heat like a hairdryer or something similar, or you might damage something underneath). Keyboards tend to take a long time to dry especially if the liquid got in between those layers. Also don't use the keyboard / turn on the Mac as long as the parts are still wet or it might damage something like the controller.

There might be a problem if the liquid wasn't pure water, because sugar or other ingredients can form "crusts" when the liquid dries and those crusts can still produce short-circuits. In those cases one could disassemble the keyboard and then try to clean it using deionized water or another appropriate cleaning agent.

Hope this helps, bye.