Keyboard tray or keyboard on desk: Which do you use at home and work and why?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Misskitty, Jan 10, 2014.

?

like the title says....

1. I use trays for both home and work

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I use desk for both home and work

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  3. I use tray for home and desk for work

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I use tray for work and desk for home

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Misskitty macrumors 6502

Ive worked for some companies that have these at every desk and Ive used them for months on end. I absolutely hated these ones. Im quite shocked how expensive these are! $200-300. Unbelievable I see endless companies throwing around this kind of money on this.

[​IMG]

Most of the ones in offices look pretty much like this. Have to say theyre pretty much garbage. Dont know how anyone finds them comfortable. The hinge on the trays over time get loose and way too much give when the weight of your hands are on it. Plus if youre tall, you will get sick of your knees banging into them.

I much prefer a solid desk. Nothing beats typing on a solid oak or glass desk, its the greatest pleasure. I prefer to sit closer to my monitors than the average person does. Its easier on the eyes and more personal. With keyboard trays, you distances you even further from the monitor. My biggest gripe with trays is that you cant rest your arms or elbows on your desk without leaning forward whereas with the keyboard on the desk its a natural feeling.

2. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

I think you ought to add a "Do not use a keyboard tray at all" choice.

I don't use the ones I have available because they're too low and cause stress on my wrists. I use a sort of standing desk arrangement and like the angle of a higher keyboard better where my elbows are a bit bent but not my wrists. I do keep my mouse on a lower level than the keyboard though, it's a magic mouse so I'm not resting my palm on it anyway.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Keyboard on desk is so much more comfy. Gives somewhere for your arms to rest.

4. Misskitty thread starter macrumors 6502

Yip. One big reason why i prefer desk.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Same here. In my case I still use an iMac G3 keyboard and an iMac G4 as my desktop machine. :D

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Desk, desk, desk. Desk all the way.

Firstly, I use laptops (it is years since I have used a desktop computer), but while I loathed those wretched trays, I love working at a solidly made, well crafted wooden desk.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I hate those drawers, perhaps because I started of in the industry where no such products existed, I'm used to typing on a desk.

In my office the desks have those keyboard drawers and mouse pad trays. I think 1 out of 100 people use that tray, that is I can count on one hand the number of people who use them

8. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Desk all the way. Trays are extremely uncomfortable.