Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

like the title says....

• I use trays for both home and work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use desk for both home and work

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • I use tray for home and desk for work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use tray for work and desk for home

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Ive worked for some companies that have these at every desk and Ive used them for months on end. I absolutely hated these ones. Im quite shocked how expensive these are! $200-300. Unbelievable I see endless companies throwing around this kind of money on this.

humanscale-keyboard-tray-platinum.jpg

Most of the ones in offices look pretty much like this. Have to say theyre pretty much garbage. Dont know how anyone finds them comfortable. The hinge on the trays over time get loose and way too much give when the weight of your hands are on it. Plus if youre tall, you will get sick of your knees banging into them.

I much prefer a solid desk. Nothing beats typing on a solid oak or glass desk, its the greatest pleasure. I prefer to sit closer to my monitors than the average person does. Its easier on the eyes and more personal. With keyboard trays, you distances you even further from the monitor. My biggest gripe with trays is that you cant rest your arms or elbows on your desk without leaning forward whereas with the keyboard on the desk its a natural feeling.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I think you ought to add a "Do not use a keyboard tray at all" choice.

I don't use the ones I have available because they're too low and cause stress on my wrists. I use a sort of standing desk arrangement and like the angle of a higher keyboard better where my elbows are a bit bent but not my wrists. I do keep my mouse on a lower level than the keyboard though, it's a magic mouse so I'm not resting my palm on it anyway.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Desk, desk, desk. Desk all the way.

Firstly, I use laptops (it is years since I have used a desktop computer), but while I loathed those wretched trays, I love working at a solidly made, well crafted wooden desk.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I hate those drawers, perhaps because I started of in the industry where no such products existed, I'm used to typing on a desk.

In my office the desks have those keyboard drawers and mouse pad trays. I think 1 out of 100 people use that tray, that is I can count on one hand the number of people who use them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.