Keyboard unresponsive for periods of time (Leopard)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by miles01110, Oct 27, 2007.

1. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

So, I installed Leopard yesterday and everything is running well except that for that the keyboard on my macbook pro sometimes randomly decides not to work for about 30 seconds. It's really irritating. As far as I can tell, I haven't done anything to cause this to happen- num lock is off, im not in an application that doesn't allow the keyboard to be used. Any ideas on why this might happen? Or a fix?

2. just02 macrumors member

I haven't looked through all of the threads yet, but I'm having a similar issue. Except, my issue has to do with Apple's new bluetooth keyboard and mighty mouse and a PMG5. I haven't had the problem today, but yesterday (right after I installed Leopard) my mouse would stutter occasionally and keyboard input would cease for a few seconds, but I think other things froze, too?

Have you tired to restarting or resetting the PRAM? :)

3. Brendon Bauer macrumors 6502

I turned off "ignore accidental input" in the trackpad preferences in System Preferences and that seemed to do the trick for me. Not sure why it was so buggy though....

4. taavi223 macrumors newbie

I think you two may have a different issue which I have also noticed. Sometimes all input stops for a few seconds then resumes. With that issue though, the input you typed then quickly catches up after a few seconds.

The issue that was described here by miles is not only longer, but any input during that time is not seen at all. In fact, you can't even activated or deactivate num lock and caps lock. It's like the keyboard is disconnected from the computer. I too am having this issue. It seems like it occurs most often after the computer has been running for a while. Another interesting coincidence is that I also have a macbook pro. Mine is the most recent model (2.2GHz). I'm hoping that this will get fixed as it's really annoying to have to restart to fix it. Granted the keyboard starts working again, but for me it usually ends up stopping again.

5. iQuit macrumors 6502a

iQuit

Same issue here

It's definately a bug, Tiger was working fine. If I just keep pressing keys for about 10 seconds it will unlock but it is the most annoying thing not to be able to use your computer. Talk about a loss of productivity, I'm saddened that this was overlooked.

6. ph0rk macrumors 6502

I've had this happen too, so far only on battery power. A reboot seems to have cleared it up. The odd thing was if i put the machine to sleep the keyboard would work for a few seconds after waking up. The trackpad was fine. This is with a SR MBP, that has had no hardware issues thus far.

I've disabled "ignore accidental input", though it would be odd if that was the source.

Anyone else seeing this?

7. miles01110 thread starter macrumors Core

miles01110

I'm bumping this back up because it's still an issue. Anyone solve this yet?

8. rosh325 macrumors regular

I had a similar problem today on my 2.2ghz MBP. I was calibrating my battery for the first time since I installed Leopard. After draining my battery and letting it sleep for 5 hours, I plugged it in and turned it on. Once everything came back from deep sleep, my video was corrupted at the menubar (lots of horizontal black lines). This eventually went away, but my keyboard was unresponsive. Even the caps lock button wouldn't work. I tried logging out and then back in. This worked temporarily, but then my keyboard went unresponsive again. I ended up having to restart and now things are working. Very odd

9. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

It happens to me every so often when I am using Excel 2004. Clicking to the Finder and back seems to restore keyboard control.

(also MBP 2.33Ghz 2GB)

10. kingpikey macrumors member

Is there any work around for this yet? Any idea when this is gonna be fixed? Mine seems to be getting worse... like if I don't type for 10-15 seconds... I have to press keys for a good 20+ seconds before it starts responding again.

11. nilo macrumors newbie

Same problem here.

Same here. It occurs every few minutes, Keyboard is not responding for a minute or so. :confused:

12. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

Apple are aware of the issue and Apple Engineering are looking into it

13. KristenM macrumors regular

I've been having the same problem with my brand new MacBook running Leopard. There's actually another thread about it as well here.
    I first noticed it while I was using Mail, then again when I was using Firefox. Today it did it while I had TextEdit open. I need to reboot every time to get it running again. Trying to log out and then log back in just gives me a blue screen.

14. nilo macrumors newbie

*up*

Whats up with this? Still have this issue with 10.5.1 :mad:

15. miha macrumors newbie

Yes. I have 10.5.1 on my SRMBP and keyboard freezes every now and then. Weird thing is that when I power up MBP (not from sleep), I cannot type my password for login. I can only type 2 first letters, 3rd letter cannot be typed. It seems that some buttons does not work. But after restart it works again. I am using internal keyboard. Frustrating!

16. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

I have been having this problem as well. Sometimes when I wake my MBP up from sleep and it's on battery power the keyboard just doesn't work at all. If I shut down and restart it will work however.
    I turned off the ignore accidental touches on the trackpad so I hope that works.
    This has been pretty irritating lately since I use my computer to take notes in class. Hopefully it will be fixed!