Keyboard viewer and character palette icon in menu bar

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shotters-nation, Aug 29, 2009.

1. shotters-nation macrumors newbie

Does anybody know how i can get the "Keyboard viewer and character palette" option in menu bar back with the country flag and not the ugly "character palette" icon?

...sounds ridiculous but under Leopard that was different....:rolleyes: -> human is a creature of habit

Attached Files:

2. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Yeah I noticed that.

I managed to get the flag back but it seems a little flaky.

Try going into System Preferences - Keyboard, then turn on Show Keyboard & Character Viewer in Menu Bar, then turn it off again. Flag should then appear.

BTW in Language & Text, under Input Sources the Keyboard & Character Viewer needs to be turned off for this to work.

Edit: just tried this again and the flag didn't come back. I think it's buggy.

3. shotters-nation thread starter macrumors newbie

Did not work for me. :(

I still want the Keyboard Viewer in the menu bar (don't know every special character as keyboard shortcut) but that icon is quite ugly...
    Shame on you Apple ;)

4. AimeeW macrumors newbie

In the Input Sources panel of Language & Text preferences, select a second "language".

I have ticked British and "Unicode Hex Input", which then gives those as choices on the drop down menu and shows the flag in the menu bar for whichever you have selected :)

5. dcnicholls macrumors newbie

Procedure for SL and Lion

This is still an irritation. To show the correct flag and still have access to the character palette, go System Settings > Language & Text and check 'Show Keyboard & Character viewer', then click the Input Sources button and check your country and a second one (must select the second one or the flag doesn't show, just the stupid icon). In my case I selected the Australian box and the US box. The menu bar flag defaults to the first selected, in the list, AFAIK.

Everything you need is now available through the flag icon, as it was in Leopard.

DN

6. simsaladimbamba

You do realise that the thread is from 2009 and it has already been solved, don't you?

7. dcnicholls macrumors newbie

Yes, but if I can find the thread via Google without it being clear what the solution was, others can too. So tying off loose ends seemed like a good idea.

Dn