Keyboard Whackiness

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ffohwx, Oct 22, 2013.

1. ffohwx macrumors member

OK...so my Logitech K760 solar keyboard's inability to stay charged was starting to annoy, so I switched back to the Apple Wireless Keyboard that came with my system (2010 iMac). However, none of the media keys were functioning correctly, and I was missing the option "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" in the keyboard prefs. All the media keys did was give the alert noise. Thinking the Logitech system had something to do with it, I removed the Logitech prefpane and rebooted. Nothing. I repaired disk permissions (since I hadn't done it in a while anyway) and rebooted. Nothing.

I decided to plug in my older Apple Wired Aluminum Keyboard (came with a 2006 Mac Pro) and it worked. My preference option was back in the keyboard prefs and the media keys functioned as expected. So now I'm wondering why it is treating my wireless keyboard weirdly. I've unpaired and repaired with no luck. I also noticed that it is not reporting battery percentage, so I replaced the batteries. Nothing.

Since I figured it couldn't do much to hurt the situation, I went ahead and upgraded to Mavericks today, and that also did nothing. My wired keyboard works fine, and my wireless keyboards works perfectly with the exception of the media keys.

Any ideas?

TL;DR My Apple Wireless Keyboard's media keys are not working. Help!

2. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

RMA it, that's not supposed to happen.

3. ffohwx thread starter macrumors member

So a little bit about that. It's not a problem with the solar keyboard. It was a Christmas gift. From the research I have done, they seem to only charge while in use. I only use it at night in an room lit only by my iMac screen and a small desk lamp, and the keyboard tray sees to it that pretty much none of that light reaches the solar panel. When it started throwing low battery warnings, I took it into work a for a few days and let it charge while using my workstation there. It charged just fine and lasted a few months just as it says it should. But, I really don't want to take it to work with me every time it needs a charge, which is why I'm attempting to go back to my Apple Wireless Keyboard. I'm just don't have the best usage case where a solar keyboard would be practical.

4. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

It never even once ran out of power on me, but the manual says that it charges the battery when you're not using it. If you were to leave it on and not covered in by the tray during the day, it should be charged up for your nightly session.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Wired keyboards are a better choice than wireless.

They just work better, and it's one less source of battery power you have to be concerned with.

6. ffohwx thread starter macrumors member

I won't disagree with that. I far prefer the wired keyboard over the wireless. I love having a number pad. Unfortunately, the wired doesn't fit on the keyboard tray of my current desk with the mouse next to it. All of my problems are small, but together, they are extremely annoying.

Since the wired keyboard works correctly and the wireless doesn't, I have no clue if it will will work, but I'm going to try an SMC reset later today. I'll report back the results.