keyboard: wired or wireless?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bonanza76, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Bonanza76 macrumors newbie

I'm about to place my order for the new iMac, but I'm still doubting to get the wired keyboard (with the numeric keypad) or the wireless version. It's not a very big decision, but still an important one!

Other people who have had to make this decision: do you miss the numeric keypad at all?

2. tufaw macrumors member

I haven't used a desktop computer without a numeric keypad, but since I use the keypad all the time I'm pretty sure I'd miss it. Regarding wired/wireless: I used the old wireless keyboard and mouse for a while and absolutely hated it. The mouse lagged and the keyboard's battery level always dropped too low at the worst possible times.

Also keep in mind that it will take longer to get your mac if you change the keyboard from the default (wired without keypad).

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I don't understand why this is a hard decision...

Do you do alot of data entry? Do you game using the number pad? Do you even use the numberpad alot?

If the answers to those are "no," then get the wireless keyboard.

4. PGASP macrumors newbie

I would go with the...

......new wired keyboard without a numeric keypad that apple released this past Tuesday. It's very tiny and takes some getting used to but i have gotten the hang of it and it is a very nice addition. I love the wireless keyboard but I don't think that it makes that much of a difference unless you want to sit far away from the computer screen. A wireless keyboard and mouse can be very useful when you are using a TV as your monitor. 

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Got the wireless keyboard to save some space on my keyboard drawer at work. I don't use the numeric keys much, and I have to admit that I've gotten to like the new style keyboard (aluminum) over the old style (white plastic).

Wired or wireless in the new style should be good.

6. Bonanza76 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going for the wireless, small version... keypad I mainly use in the office.. that's why I think I'm so attached to it

7. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

double post.

8. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Sorry - you're attached to a keypad or no? I'm guessing no.
    PS - The wireless only comes in one config currently - without keypad.

but good on you for making a decision :D

I use the keypad all the time myself, so mine's wired.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Apple Wireless Keyboard is the best keyboard I've ever used, wired or wireless! Very compact, incredible battery life, connects with zero problems, extremely portable.

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Don't forget the wired keyboard with the keypad has 2 USB ports (I use one of these for my mouse dongle), with the wireless keyboard you'll miss out on these. Not everyone minds, obviously.

11. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Although it frees up one on the computer itself-so 4 instead of 3 (one used for KB).

12. pkagel macrumors regular

Well being that I like to kick back on the couch and play computer on my TV the wireless was a no brainer. Other than that, when I'm at a desk I like to kick my feet up on the desk with the keyboard in my lap and the wired ones really get in the way. The compact size of this keyboard can't be beat to boot.

13. stevo8 macrumors 6502

After using wireless mouse&keyboard for the last year, I can't wait to get my new iMac with wired mouse and keyboard. Dealing with batteries all the time really bites the big one. As for the num pad, the only part I use is the enter button for aim.. Not sure why just habbit I guess.

14. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Go wireless and buy a battery charger + battery set.

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Or a cordless mouse with a charging stand.

I don't mind a wired keyboard, mostly because I don't really move it around - but I absolutely hate having a wired mouse. I even bought my own VX Nano for my work computer.