Keyboard with dock or bluetooth keyboard?

TwoSocEmBoppers

Original poster
May 30, 2010
Sunny Southern California
I am getting an iPad in a week or two and am planning on using it at college. I was wondering, from personal experience of others, do you recommend the Apple Keyboard with a built in dock OR a bluetooth keyboard?

Thanks!

stringbeanie

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Southern California
I've owned both. The dock version is a pain to deal with because you must remove it from your case every time you want to use it. I use a case called Yoobao magic case now and it works great with the Bluetooth keyboard because it props up to the perfect viewing angle and I just start typing away. Any case that allows the iPad to be propped up at an angle for viewing (and there are a growing number of them) will be a perfect match for the Bluetooth keyboard. I sold my dockable keyboard on eBay immediately after I realized the complexity of using it with a case.

BTW, if you have an iPhone with iOS4, you can use the Bluetooth keyboard with it too.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
I've owned both. The dock version is a pain to deal with because you must remove it from your case every time you want to use it. I use a case called Yoobao magic case now and it works great with the Bluetooth keyboard because it props up to the perfect viewing angle and I just start typing away. Any case that allows the iPad to be propped up at an angle for viewing (and there are a growing number of them) will be a perfect match for the Bluetooth keyboard. I sold my dockable keyboard on eBay immediately after I realized the complexity of using it with a case.

BTW, if you have an iPhone with iOS4, you can use the Bluetooth keyboard with it too.
I just purchased the Bluetooth keyboard for the very same reasons you cited.

TwoSocEmBoppers

Original poster
May 30, 2010
Sunny Southern California

I just purchased the Bluetooth keyboard for the very same reasons you cited.
Perfect! Thanks for the help.

cheebert

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
Speck case with trap door

The Speck rubber/plastic case has a trap door at the bottom that covers the i/o port and allows me to just flip it open and use the standard Apple keyboard dock...also saved my ipad from a cracked screen when I dropped it recently. The case I'm using is called the "Candy Shell" and here's the URL for it:

http://www.speckproducts.com/products/candyshell/ipad/235

I got it with the Shield View to matt down the screen and protect it...the envelope comes with two shields, so a spare or do a friend.

http://www.speckproducts.com/products/shieldview/ipad/233

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.