Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prabz26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Toronto, Canada
So I've been a PC user all my life and I do not know how dependent
I've become to the number pad when I switch to the iMac.

Since two very irritating experiences from ordering online from the Apple
Store and those FedEX employees delivering at the worst possible times,
extending the time for delivery and leaving crappy notes,
I just dread delivery!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
(p.s. no angry at Apple angry at FedEX)

So basically, I want to skip the fuss and wait and go to the
Apple Store and buy the thing but it comes without a Number Pad:(
and you can not do an in store switch.

I want to know from those people who have been used to a Number Pad
on their keyboard, how was the adjustment to the Apple Keyboard
without the number pad?

Was it easy to get used to?
Did you notice you actually were dependent with the number pad?

Or was it an easy adjustment? or took a bit but was nothing to worry about?

Or juss if you are dependent on it order online and switch keyboards and wait the two weeks for shipment?

Any Help Appreciated :)

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
it was an easy adjustment for me simply because I was used to the macbook keyboard. If i didn't want a bluetooth wireless keyboard I would have gone for the one with the number pad though. I just prefer it.

I think when it comes to keyboards its really up to your personal preference :)

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
I do not like the looks of the non-num KB, the short version. I have to have the number pad on my KB and when I ordered my iMac that is why I ordered a NUM KB along with my iMac. There are other keys too missing on the KB not only just the numbers. So to answer your question I don't like the short KB, I must have the NUM KB. Go Long!:D

Prabz26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I guess sooo...
im juss so frustrated because i don't think
im dependent on the number pad
but i don't want to be mistaken later

and i hate waiting two weeks on top of the months i"ve been waiting for this
computer
on a silly keyboard problem....:(

PeterQC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
I'm using one. It's great. Even through it's not rated as high power USB on the sides, they are able to charge under Mac OS X (Windows plainly REFUSE to charge it) and might even be powerful enough to power my tablet (didn't tried yet, but someone said that I could.).

Unlike the other guy said there's no important missed key. You still have the same functionality, since all the important feature like screen brightness, volume and such ARE on the small keyboard.

If you tried the MacBook keyboard before, it's the same exact thing.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Stupidest decision made by Apple in a long time. All our customers now need to wait a week for their iMac because when given the choice they want the full keyboard.

We can't do an in-store swap so it needs to be CTO'd.

Beerfloat

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2009
I wouldn't miss the numpad myself but if you intend to use your Mac as a cash register in a supermarket I'm sure it'd be swell.

Prabz26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Stupidest decision made by Apple in a long time. All our customers now need to wait a week for their iMac because when given the choice they want the full keyboard.

We can't do an in-store swap so it needs to be CTO'd.

lol you just stole the words i was thinking

:apple::mad::(

faffoo

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Keyboards, keyboards, keyboards!

Hi there,

I bought an iMac at christmas that came with the full size keyboard (wired). Buta after a long fuss with apple (read the story here) I was given a replacement just after the new models (and the new keyboard) were released, so I got a brand new model mac. That new mac came with the smaller keyboard but I kept the keyboard and mouse from my old computer becuase I boght the wireless mouse and I didnt know if I would like the smaller one.

Now, two months later (I Think) I still use the big keyboard with my iMac (and love it) but use the small keyboard with the family laptop when at a desk because I preffer it to the laptop keyboard. I also use the free wired mighty mouse I recieved with the laptop, which is an Acer.

I personally preffer the look and feel of the new smaller keyboard. The keys have more of a matt finish and geel much nicer. I personnaly dont use the num pad much but it isnt much of a oest to use the numbers at the top of the keyboard. I actually preffer the smaller keyboard (i think)

But, at the end of the day, a keyboard is all about personal preference. Your experience and opinions will be different to mine.

But that is my oppinion.

Thanks
Faffoo

Prabz26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Toronto, Canada
lol nice long post
but im still undecided

your points above make some sense
but i guessssss i'd order online :(
i'd rather play it safe and wait which makes me feel horrible
i hate FedEx:mad:

but better safe then sorry imo

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
I've always used number keyboards.

I've just got my new iMac with wireless keyboard, it's brilliant. Havn't noticed the lack of numbers at all. There's numbers on the top :p

Basically I think the smaller one looks a lot better. It fits perfectly under the monitor with a mouse because altogether they are the same length as the monitor. The number keyboard would probably stretch wider than the monitor, 24inch, with mouse mat next to it.

I'm obsessed with how things look though, lol.

It's a cute keyboard!

faffoo

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2008
Glasgow, UK
lol nice long post
but im still undecided

your points above make some sense
but i guessssss i'd order online :(
i'd rather play it safe and wait which makes me feel horrible
i hate FedEx:mad:

but better safe then sorry imo

true

I personaly think you would be happy with the smaller one, thus allowing you to buy in store, and I would recommend buying in Apple Retail Store over Appel Online any day. Read my story to find out why!

But after using this smaller keyboard for a while the one thing that does bug me is how small the arrow keys are, they are tiny compared to the full size keyboard. That is getting on my nerves! It is sort of crammed in to the design!

I know this is kind of irrelevant but the USB connection of the new keyboard is more square (and in my oppinion nicer looking) than the older one. Looks more like apple's newer cables.

Faffoo

Dannewashere

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2009
I actually ordered it with the number pad but they sent me one without it, i have to say its i havent missed the number pad at all. The only complaints i have is that i constantly misstake the fn key for the control key.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
I actually ordered it with the number pad but they sent me one without it, i have to say its i havent missed the number pad at all. The only complaints i have is that i constantly misstake the fn key for the control key.

even though it's all the way on the left?

weird.

i love the keyboard w/o the numpad!

capo64

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2008
I bought my iMac in store. I hated the non-numeric keyboard so I called Apple and managed to get them to replace it after asking to speak with the manager. So you can try that but I take no responsibility if it doesn't work.

leslie.g

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2009
Sydney
I bought my iMac before they were shipped with the small keyboard so I had the large keyboard for a while. Months later I decided I wanted to lose the cords and I bought a wireless keyboard and mouse. I did use the num pad quite alot on my old one but I don't find myself missing the num pad. The only thing I really missed was the delete key (but you can delete to the right by holding fn+backspace). Unless you work with numbers alot I don't think it will be a big deal for you.

Although when I got my new one I kept pressing for example P instead of O, because it has a chunk missing off the side hahahahahahaha

Prabz26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Toronto, Canada
thanks for all this infoooo

im still gonna go with full size
i can deal maybe without da keypad
but small arrow keys and missing some keys

ill juss wait da extra two weeks even though i dread it
ive waited months
two more weeks ahhh wat the hay :(

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
Stupidest decision made by Apple in a long time....

...from a cost cutting perspective it was very smart, they are the same parts used in their laptops...their laptop market share is growing faster than their iMac/MP (aka desktop) market share...

...yes it stinks you can't get in-store replacements if you want the full size keyboard but you can get USB number pads for $5 - $15 USD or wireless for $30 so that's an option as well...

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I just bought the Apple Wired keyboard with the Numeric Key Pad only because when I use Windows on my BootCamp this keyboard is more like my windows keyboard and everything works much better, plus I use the Number Pad for doing a lot of Mathmatic Functions, but like most ppl here it is preference but you can use the regular Mac keyboard just as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.